Order of chemical additions

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
The liner in my pool was replaced this week and the water is almost high enough to run the pumps. I've calculated the weight of all the chemicals required but have a question on the order in which they should be added. The chemicals needed are sodium bicarbonate, Calcium chloride, CYA, and chlorine. I tested the water and the results are:

pH 7.0
FC .5
Ca 40
TA 20
CYA 0

I'm assuming the chemicals should be added one and a time and allow enough time between additions to get them mixed in the pool water. So does it make any difference as to which is added first or last?

Another question - the instructions that came with the vinyl liner said to maintain a minimum Ca concentration of 100 ppm and a maximum free chlorine concentration of 3.0 PPM. I am assuming that the requirement for a minimum Ca level is because there is calcium in the liner or the die used to color the liner. The maximum free chlorine level could be a problem if I need to shock. So my question is - are these concentrations realistic?

Start by raising the TA.

Add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening starting the first day you have pump is running and switch to targeting an FC level based on your CYA level beginning 24 hours after you start adding CYA.

The requirement for CH is not based on anything meaningful. You may want to do it just to maintain your warranty, but there is no other reason to add calcium.

A max FC of 3 is not realistic unless there is no CYA at all in the water. Having that requirement dates back to before people used/understood CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.