Tell me about laminar jets.

The sound depends a lot on wether the stream is laminar when it hits the water. If it is, it's usually quite quiet. If it breaks up before hitting the water, it makes more noise. Kind of like rain. One neat thing is to use lighted laminars. Light travels through the stream due to total internal reflection. It's the same principle as fiber optics. The cost of equipment and installation is higher. I don't think that the reliability is good enough yet on these to be able to recommend them. However, it might be something that you want to consider.

I was considering the LED laminar for my build. I will likely go with the standard low cost laminar. My PB uses all Pentair equipment, the Pentair led laminar are huge and there is no way to conceal them. They come in different colors but none would really blend into my pool decking. Jandy on the other hand makes a pour-a-lid option for their LED laminar.

Be careful of how they are installed. We have five mini Fiberstars and they are not smooth streams of water and are extremely loud. They are cool at night with the color changing lights, but we hardly ever use them due to them being so loud. I think the streams not being smooth is due to the installation when the pool was built. If you look in the picture the stream is solid for about 1.5 fee before they start breaking up. Also from our main sitting area which is directly behind and to the right of where I took the picture you do not see the streams light up. They are more prevalent while in the pool or hot tub. I have done research on fixing them and many people who build these from scratch use a low pressure filter to smooth the streams which I do not have. I thought about trying to add one but have not gotten around to it yet.

attachment.php

We have a Pentair colorcascade LED bubbler. My 14 month old loves it and I think it's pretty cool too. When the light is on without water flowing it looks a bit funny but not enough to bother me. Already had it replaced once under warranty because somehow the first one got water in the led housing and the LEDs stopped working. Pentair was great about getting it replaced. If I was to do it again I would go the same route. Also syncs up with the intellibrite pool and spa light 100% of the time as long as the settings are correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Flippy
Thanks, that is exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about. It sounds like the Pentairs are "quieter" because they provide a solid stream of water (???).

Does anyone know if the Jandy's are similar to the Pentairs?

Thanks
plat.

Jandy and pentair's might be made by the same OEM. The ones that we used to install as a jandy brand are now pentair.

They do make noise even with a laminar flow. You can conceal them if you set them below the deck and put a paver ( can me made with the same materials as the deck). with a hole cut out for them. I have only finished them at deck level on one project.

@Flippy
Thanks, that is exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about. It sounds like the Pentairs are "quieter" because they provide a solid stream of water (???).

Does anyone know if the Jandy's are similar to the Pentairs?

Thanks
plat.

I believe mine are too supposed to be a solid stream. I honestly think that it was installed wrong from the pump to the way they have it split with the valves. From what I read they are supposed to have a inline filter and I am also sure mine is plumed wrong. Even the pump they used is overkill. To me it looks like the water is pulsating which the low pressure filter should take care of but I have not tried yet. If they worked correctly I am sure they would be awesome! They still look great and I do use them but for the money they cost I think I would go with lighted bubblers if I built a new pool. I am not sure where you are H-Town but if you are on the far SW side you can come by and see them in action.

@Flippy
Thanks for the offer. We're on the northeast side. One of our requirements with the builder we choose will be to see an installation of these. We'll need to see some Pebble Tec/Sheen/Wet Edge examples as well, so I expect we'll be doing our own private "mini-tour" of pools with them.

@Patrick_B
It's gonna look like Hoover Dam during a high-water release! LOL. In all seriousness though, thinking 3. Maybe 4. But these may also be the first things to get cut if we need to trim the budget.

Thanks
plat.

I am planning to install 2 laminars. Can anyone tell me more about the drain? I see it says to use 1 1/2 inch for the drain. Can it be drained into a small gravel pit underground underneath the light or does it need to be piped completely out and way from the pool? It seems like the amount of water to drain would be pretty small.

Can it be drained into a small gravel pit underground underneath the light
That is exactly how my plumber told me to do it.
does it need to be piped completely out and way from the pool?
That is exactly how Pentair says to do it in the manual.

The only water that will drain is the minimal amount of rain and when you first turn on and turn off the stream.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.