First Slam

unkyjoe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
Seguin TX
Greetings,

I let my pool sit over the winter here in South Texas. It was a smelly swamp when I started to clean it last week.

Had a bearing going bad in my 2 yo 3/4hp pump, it was noisy but it ran.

I started slamming the pool and got it from a smelling green to a milky blue in a couple of days, and then noticed no more progress.

The multi-port valve on my Hayward sand filter bit the dust so I got the Intex 2800GPH 3/4hp Pump with 14" sand filter and it arrived today. Cleaned the old sand and transferred it to the new filter, hooked up and did a leak test, a 2 minute backwash and then a 30 second rise, and finally set the pump on filter. Boy was that waste water green, until the backwash finished.

So i took a reading with my T100 and the FC was 0, dumped 92oz of bleach in to get it to SLAM value of 12.
Tested 1.5hrs later and was down to 8.6 so I threw in another 32oz of bleach per the pool calc.

How often should I check the chlorine while slamming? Ever couple of hours, or maybe twice a day? And I should keep it at 12ppm until I meet all the SLAM requirements correct?

Also my CYA is at 30.

Thanks for helping.

Thanks.

At the start ideally you need to check every few hours, as you notice the FC level not dropping as fast, you can wait longer between tests, but still at least twice a day.

Yes, maintain shock level FC until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.
If you pass the OCLT and the CC test and are just trying to clear up cloudiness, you could consider adding DE to your Sand Filter.

Thanks jblizzle, I will do that.

Here are the rest of the test results: I have the Taylor K-2006 test kit not the t100

PH 8.0 not going to worry about it until slam is done?
TA 90
CH 90

Added some water earlier after backwashing and before adding the 92oz bleach.

Did you lower the pH to the lower 7s before you started the SLAM ... that is the first step.

If not, I would let the FC drop below 10ppm and check and adjust the pH before continuing.

No I did not :( Missed that step, I assume my ph is so high as I had the return shooting up to aerate.

So question, let the FC drop below 10, then test the PH and if high add some Mur Acid? Correct.

Thanks

Question, any problem dropping my pool cleaner "Auqubug" in while SLAMMING?

I have been brushing the bottom of the pool, even though I cant see it, but I would like to throw the cleaner in there to pick up anything else I might have missed.

THanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The chlorine is a little more harsh than when not SLAMing, so it may degrade the cleaner slightly. But, for a limited amount of run time, it should be fine and not really cause any damage.

Thanks for the info, I will toss it in for a while and keep a close eye on the basket to make sure I am keeping it clean.

Pump is running at all times, it is around 8 psi, how often should I backwash? When the pressure increases or every couple of days, the water color is blue with a slight green tint, and cloudy, I can see perhaps 12 inches into the water, maybe a little more.

Thanks again

So I put the Aqua Bug in the water and within 3-5 minutes my pressure was up and the filter started shooting green water back into the pool.
Rather than load the filter I put it on recirc and let the Bug run to catch the leaves and break up any Algae on the bottom of the pool that I could not see, it has been running about an hour, I keep cleaning leaves out of the basket and starting it up again, once the leaves are all gone and the algae is broken up I will take the bug out and start filtering again.

My thinking is that algae was hiding under the leaves in the pool and this will break it up so the bleach can kill it and the filter can filter it.

I will check FC once I take the bug out.

Still slamming, got all of the debris out of the pool, water is nice and blue, however still cant see the bottom of the pool.

Will keep fighting. And cleaning the filter when the pressure rises. Man I will never let it get like this again, what a pain.

I have some Flocculant, I am tempted to throw in there, but I am going to wait for the Overnight & CC tests before giving in to that. It is still consuming a large amount of 8.25% bleach to keep that level so something is still alive in there, plus we are getting a LOT of sun these days, temps in the upper 70's as well. It was nearly 80 today.

I would ask that you wait it out. Don't add the floc unless you are certain you know it will do exactly what you want. If you aren't certain, don't put it in.

Putting in anything and not being able to say with certainty what will happen is breaking one of our Golden rules. It might work, and it might make things worse too.

It can take a sand filter as much as a week, with the pump and filter running 24/7, to get all of the fine debris from the pool. DE in the sand filter can help but may cause your pressures to rise very quickly if you have a large debris load making the pool cloudy. I recommend not leaving the pump unattended during the early stages to ensure you don't have a dangerous pressure rise. I like to do yard work, near the pool, during my filtering of a dirty pool.

Adding DE is best added during the last stages of filtering. Pool School describes the technique.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.