Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have a three year old indoor Endless pool. Although I have been balancing water for three years, I realized (after reading on this site) there is still a lot I don't know. Recently, I was told I need to start measuring TDS and SI. I was told to purchase a digital TDS device. I have done some reading (I will check out the pool school here) and have found out that TDS is a pandora's box, probably for all issues regarding water balancing. Since I use bleach for my Chlorine source and Sodium Bisulfate for my acid source, I would assume my TDS is mostly sodium. I have read that TDS has very little impact on the calculation of SI. I have also read that there are two major groups that do and don't recommend draining and refilling pools based solely on the TDS. Anyway, I will do more reading.

Thanks

Joe

Welcome Joe!

Do not purchase a TDS meter....maybe later.

TDS is largely attributed to salt, but TDS on its own is irrelevant to pool/spa care. As for SI we really rely more on CSI (Calcite Saturation). As limiting factors go, calcium is normally the focus as its generally the cause for concern.

We don't do anything based on TDS itself, rather all the components that contribute to it.

Welcome Joe! Care to show off your pool? We'd love to see it!