Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: #3 rebar vs. #4?

1. Back To Top    #1

#3 rebar vs. #4?

Obviously one is thicker than the other. I assume that some use #3 to save funds. How important is the difference?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: #3 rebar vs. #4?

#3 rebar is 3/8" diameter....#4 is 1/2" diameter

For pools, 3/8 is likely just fine but that's a general statement.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It all depends on what you are doing. In almost all cases it is a structural issue. Areas that need to carry heavier loads get thicker rebar.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

It depends on a lot of things. How wide a span the rebar is bridging, how thick the concrete is, how closely the rebar is spaced, and even what type of gunnite is used.

If you are really worried about it, get an engineer to take a look. The cost shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars and the peace of mind is worth it IMHO.

5. Back To Top    #5

I know in the DFW area PB always recommend to go with the #4. When I was getting quotes all of them recommended to do the #4.

6. Back To Top    #6

First, I have never built a pool so I'd like you to know that up front. I seem to remember, generally, #3 on 8in centers, or #4 on 10in centers. Most with 4 sticks of #4 rebar for the bond beam. Of course, it all depends on length, depth, soil conditions, etc. I have a few questions I am about to start on another thread on rebar as well. May give you some more info if I get some responses. Good luck.
    17x40, 3.5 to 9'. Apx 32k gallons. Apx 20 feet of 0 to 36" freestanding wall, 12' tanning ledge, 3hp Pentair intelliflo, 3/4 booster pump, Pentair, 60DE filter, 2 intellibright lights, 2 skimmers, 5? Returns, pebble sheen, ? on Coping, and tile. Fastlane