Pump power

jrr

Aug 22, 2013
Mcallen, TX
I have an 18k gallon pool and have a 1 hp pump feeding from a main drain and two skimmers. I was wondering if 1 hp enough. I have a waterfall that is about 6 ft high with a 2 hp pump, does anyone think maybe when they installed the equipment they switched the pumps? I ask because I notice that I have to play around with the Valves to get the right suction at one end of the skimmer since there isn't enough for both skimmers and main drain.

Thanks,

JR

A 1 HP pump should be more than enough for that pool. Normally I recommend using a two speed 1 HP pump on low speed in that situation. Meanwhile, it is very common to need a large pump for a waterfall.

What do you mean by "there isn't enough for both skimmers and main drain"?

Thanks for the reply! If my valves for both skimmers and main drain were all open I would get almost no flow on the skimmer. So what I do is have one skimmer fully open, and the main drain and other skimmer partially closed. I notice I get a lot of build up of debri on top if both skimmers are fully open. I usually open skimmer on down wind.

I agree with JB. MDs are overrated and not really required. You are much better off taking flow from just the skimmers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.