Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump power

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump power

I have an 18k gallon pool and have a 1 hp pump feeding from a main drain and two skimmers. I was wondering if 1 hp enough. I have a waterfall that is about 6 ft high with a 2 hp pump, does anyone think maybe when they installed the equipment they switched the pumps? I ask because I notice that I have to play around with the Valves to get the right suction at one end of the skimmer since there isn't enough for both skimmers and main drain.

Thanks,

JR
    17k gallon pool, pentair whisperflo pump 1hp, Pentair FNS Plus 36, SWG Hayward Turbo Cell 15 40,000g, blue quartz with pebble finish landings/bench, ultra pure water cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump power

A 1 HP pump should be more than enough for that pool. Normally I recommend using a two speed 1 HP pump on low speed in that situation. Meanwhile, it is very common to need a large pump for a waterfall.

What do you mean by "there isn't enough for both skimmers and main drain"?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply! If my valves for both skimmers and main drain were all open I would get almost no flow on the skimmer. So what I do is have one skimmer fully open, and the main drain and other skimmer partially closed. I notice I get a lot of build up of debri on top if both skimmers are fully open. I usually open skimmer on down wind.
    17k gallon pool, pentair whisperflo pump 1hp, Pentair FNS Plus 36, SWG Hayward Turbo Cell 15 40,000g, blue quartz with pebble finish landings/bench, ultra pure water cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would leave the floor nearly closed off to get better skimming.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with JB. MDs are overrated and not really required. You are much better off taking flow from just the skimmers.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater