Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain pool or just start filtering?

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain pool or just start filtering?

Hello, all. We left our pool filled/uncovered this winter. It is warming up in Louisiana, and we'd like to get the pool clean again.

I bought a sump pump to drain the pool so we could start all over with new water, but now I'm doubting that choice when reading about potential for liner tears/shrinkage.

The pool is not situated near any trees, but it likely has some debris in the bottom. Would you recommend draining it entirely or working with what we've got? It is very green, but I do not see much debris from the surface (5' deep pool), nor do I see the floating chunks of algae like we experienced last summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    5300 gal, AG vinyl, .95HP 28651EG Intex Krystal Clear 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump
    TF100 - test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain pool or just start filtering?

Welcome to TFP!

Either approach should be fine. My rule of thumb is to drain below 5,000 gallons, and treat above 5,000 gallons, but it isn't really a hard and fast line.

An above ground pool shouldn't have any problems with the liner stretching or tearing. That is really an in-ground issue.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for your quick response! I watched a couple of the Above Ground Pros videos on YouTube, and they kept going on and on about it, but I've been a TFP lurker since last summer and never saw mention of anything about that.
    TF100 - test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you decided to stop lurking and join in, and I hope you'll let us know how we can help you turn that around if you need it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Absolutely! You guys are the best.
    TF100 - test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks!

Grab a kit, hump some bleach home and SLAM that pool!

TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Oh yeah, that water is salvageable. I opened my pool this past weekend, and went from this:

to this in under 24 hours:

25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

8. Back To Top    #8

Amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

The pool is currently refilling, and I'm about to go to the store to grab some chlorine. Should I just grab some jugs of unscented bleach for now?

Current readings are:
    FC: 0
    TC: 0
    CYA: <30
    CH: 100
    pH: 7.8-8.0

We also have a test for alkalinity, which is at 350.

Do I add the dry acid now and the bleach when I get home? I don't think we have much chlorine left -- just some tablets.
    TF100 - test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Lucimireles6

You want to adjust your pH closer to 7.2 before you start your SLAM and then don't bother to test it again until after you're done. Just a waste of reagent.

Pull that ladder and scrub it. From the looks of that first posts picture there is some sturdy looking "green" hanging onto it. Don't forget to do the bottom of the rungs too Might want to check the inside of your skimmer and do a bit of scrubbing in there too. The less green stuff you have hiding in places the faster the SLAM goes. It's also cheaper as that stuff isn't eating your bleach.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks! We have scrubbed pretty well now (skimmer too!) and will adjust the pH before starting the process. I printed the SLAM instructions to follow to a T. Fingers crossed that it goes well!
    TF100 - test kit