Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie from LA

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie from LA

hello all. Newbie here from LA. Last year we put up our Intex 24' pool. Everything was great until one side sunk and we ended up with a 5" difference from one side to the other. I took the pool down at the end of the summer, and I am planning on leveling the ground and using pavers to support the legs. My question is, can I till up the dirt, level it, then pack it down? will this give me a sufficient base for the pool? I have 6-8 weeks before I put the pool back up, would this give the dirt time to pack down solid with watering and tamping? any advice would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie from LA

Welcome to TFP!!!

We generally say it is best to dig down the high side to undisturbed dirt to level the site.

That said, if you have the equipment and know-how, you could pack the dirt down and it might be firm enough ... pools are very heavy.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

We generally say it is best to dig down the high side to undisturbed dirt to level the site.

That said, if you have the equipment and know-how, you could pack the dirt down and it might be firm enough ... pools are very heavy.
    Thanks for the welcome and the reply. If I remember correctly our pool is around 10,400 gallons which is around 86000 pounds. you're right about it being heavy. I've never leveled the ground before, and even after reading multiple write ups on it I'm still unsure of how to approach it. My first thought was to run a string level from one side to the other, measure to find the high side, dig it down to make it level, and then keep working it like that all the way around. I was just thinking the way I stated in my original post would be more time efficient. We just had baby number 5 a month ago, trying to close in the garage, and baseball and softball start in a week. so as you can see time is a precious commodity in our house lol.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are a few threads in the forum with detailed pictures about how to level a spot for the pool. Often they use a long board and water level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP lucky!

Enjoy the forums.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem