Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pavers base preparation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pavers base preparation

I plan on using pavers around my pool with concrete coping. I have a dark, thick Texas clay for a base. So here is my plan on how to prepare it for pavers.

1. Level and compact soil with plate compator.
    2. 3-4 inch layer of #57 Limestone gravel (1" -3/8" mixture), compact again
    3. 1 inch road base over that, compact it while wet
    4. 1.5" sand over that

Unfortunately, I cannot find anywhere 500 sqft of Mirafi 500X geo-textile, and using fabric from HD is useless from what I read. Any thoughts?
    10K gallons, IG vinyl free form Radiant Pool, 1HP SuperFlo 2 speed pump, 175 sqft Hayward C17502 plus cartridge filter, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System CS8110 Model 54601EG, Jandy Pro Series Underwater Nicheless LED. 1 skimmer, 1 suction outlet, 3 returns, The Pool Cleaner. Pool installation in progress as of 09/24/2014.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pavers base preparation

Somewhere in that mix you may want a copper mesh for bonding or at the very least a single bond wire. Though code allows a single wire, I think the grid is better and safer, and many people in the industry agree http://ecmweb.com/contractor/debate-deep-end.

With clay underneath, I think I'd want more like 6" of #57.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Sure, bonding wire must be present, as per code.
    10K gallons, IG vinyl free form Radiant Pool, 1HP SuperFlo 2 speed pump, 175 sqft Hayward C17502 plus cartridge filter, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System CS8110 Model 54601EG, Jandy Pro Series Underwater Nicheless LED. 1 skimmer, 1 suction outlet, 3 returns, The Pool Cleaner. Pool installation in progress as of 09/24/2014.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by exptrade View Post
    1. Level and compact soil with plate compator.
    2. 3-4 inch layer of #57 Limestone gravel (1" -3/8" mixture), compact again
    3. 1 inch road base over that, compact it while wet
    4. 1.5" sand over that
    This is consistent with how my PB built my paver decking on my pool just north of Houston. The only upgrade I had to do later was to use polymeric sand to lock the pavers in place. I got tired of wind and rain washing my paver sand into the pool. The polymeric sand greatly reduced these occurrences. Another option is to add some bagged concrete mix into the paver sand to help lock in the sand and keep it out of your water.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir