Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fiberglass resurfacing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fiberglass resurfacing?

I bought a house last year with a 34 year old fiberglass pool. Last summer was great, no issues with the pool whatsoever. However, the gelcoat on the fiberglass has chips out of it in multiple places on the walls of the pool where the brown of the fiberglass is visible and the surface is no longer smooth.

I'd like to look into resurfacing the fiberglass, but my google-fu is mostly returning results about putting fiberglass surfaces over concrete, rather than resurfacing an original fiberglass pool. I can't even seem to locate a pool company that claims to offer the surface on their website. I'm about resigned to just calling companies and asking if they offer this service or know a company that does, but I feel woefully uninformed about what to ask of them.

So....has anyone here resurfaced a fiberglass pool or know of a good reference I can use to learn about it? Does anyone happen to live in Albuquerque, NM and know a local contractor who offers this service? Does anyone have an idea at all of how much this might cost? The pool is approximately 15' x 35', with a 9 foot deep end. I'd just like to know if I'm looking at 5k or 15k to have some idea of budgeting and whether it's even feasible to be thinking of doing this now.
    25k Inground Fiberglass, sand filter, no heater
    Located in Albuquerque, New Mexico, gets full sun all day long

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Fiberglass resurfacing?

Look at Aquabright by Ecofinish. We just completed our training for it and belive it will do what they are saying.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

3. Back To Top    #3

If you just want to repair the chipped places I'd contact a local fiberglass boat repair place and see if one of the techs would be interested in looking at it.

If you're wanting to resurface the entire pool I'd check out swimcmp's suggestion.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp View Post
    Look at Aquabright by Ecofinish. We just completed our training for it and belive it will do what they are saying.
    It may have been you mentioning it before, but it keeps coming up, and I'm keen on hearing more about this as details are known and it's been used/in place.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

http://aquatic-tech.net/index.php

I found this product online and requested a referral to a dealer from them, I'm just a little leery of the fact that the only information I can find is from the company's website.

The boat repair shop is a good idea, though I think I'd prefer to resurface the whole thing since it is so old.
    25k Inground Fiberglass, sand filter, no heater
    Located in Albuquerque, New Mexico, gets full sun all day long

6. Back To Top    #6

YouTube has some videos on the renewal or repair of fiberglass pools. Interesting to see the basic procedures to understand.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain