First Swim of the Season is in the Books

BoDarville

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2012
DFW, Texas
Today marked the first swim of the season - a big deal for those of us who do not live in a climate that facilitates year-round outdoor swimming. What makes this year's first swim even more memorable is that we were dealing with 5 1/2" of snow less than 3 weeks ago. I will not kid anyone - the water was far from Bora Bora-like. But after a few warm and sunny days, it hit my magic threshold of 65°F and, after a 5-month hiatus, it was time.

Ohhh snap! 65 is ridiculously too cold! Yeah, we had a bunch of snow for sure! The last few days have been awesome!

Our solar panels have been blasting away. We were at 69 this morning and 76 at 6pm tonight with solar temp still at 91. I walked across the tanning shelf and I'm definitely not getting in! Last spring we got in at 80 and that wasn't all that great. I prefer 85 min and 88-92 is ideal.

My number is 83---and it ain't even hit 83 degrees outside, much less pool temp.

- - - Updated - - -

My number is 83---and it ain't even hit 83 degrees outside, much less pool temp. We talking about swimming or floatin' on a raft????...!!!!

Yeah, we are considering floating on a raft this weekend if the pool gets up to 80 and the sun is shining. A lot.

Hi temp was 81 today, 80 yesterday. Pool was 65 Sunday afternoon.

Ours was in the mid 60's two weeks ago, even hit 63º during a warm spell in February. We had our first swim last weekend. Our boys were having a water gun fight in the backyard. I surprised one by picking him up and tossing him in! Water was low 70's so we didn't stay in too long.

woodyp said:
We talking about swimming or floatin' on a raft????...!!!!
Definitely swimming...as in laps. Yes, the initial surge gets your attention but it quickly passes with a few quick laps. For the record, tolerance and preference are two different things - I may tolerate water @ 65° but I prefer it to be in the 80°'s.

Our dog Tigger was a bit less adventurous (some might say smarter :)) as he was content to watch me swim laps while he laid on a sunny spot on the patio.

A strong cold front blew through overnight leaving a good stiff wind out of the NW and temps are about 20° cooler than they were at this time yesterday, so it may be several days before I venture back in. It's been a few years since I got in a March swim, so that should bode well for the upcoming swim season.

Today marked the first swim of the season - a big deal for those of us who do not live in a climate that facilitates year-round outdoor swimming. What makes this year's first swim even more memorable is that we were dealing with 5 1/2" of snow less than 3 weeks ago. I will not kid anyone - the water was far from Bora Bora-like. But after a few warm and sunny days, it hit my magic threshold of 65°F and, after a 5-month hiatus, it was time.
You are a stronger person than me. 70 is my threshold and even at 70 it jump in the water, climb out and run to the hot tub!

I was a dive instructor in Ft. Lauderdale for years and my threshold for diving was 75. Colder water meant no diving. Winter meant diving in the Bahamas, Cayman, Cozumel and places like that.

No cold water for me, I'm a wimp and I admit it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, we don't play for long when the water is in the low 70's. However it feels good when I do lap swimming, aside from the initial jump in. 80's is good during the summer.

I find that colder water is more tolerable as long as the air temperature is higher than the water temperature. I really don't like climbing out and feeling colder than when I went in.

Kids beat me by two days while i was at work. My frist swim was last Sunday after cutting grass. Control panel said water was 80 but it felt more like 77 or a little lower. Was hot from the grass cutting but the first plunge was breath taking. Low's in the mid to higher 40's next few days mean no swimming in the main pool this weekend. Really my temp is 80+, can go lower but find it's just not enjoyable.

As soon as my pool hits 72, I'll be in it. It's cold at first but ya warm up pretty quickly soon there after!

Jeesh, even in mid August here, the ocean temp at the beach is only 75 degrees and it's still freezing to me! I like my 88/89 degree pool much better. Unfortunately, with this ridiculous winter, even with a heater, it won't hit that until after Memorial Day.

I'm with you LI-PG! 83-85 is min, 87-93 is preferred. Under 80 is unfit for human consumption. I don't know what is wrong with everyone around here swimming in ice cubes!

I threw out a bluff to my wife several days ago that I was going in when when the pool hit 70, which it has been flirting with the last week. Bluff or not I was in today at 68. While doing some chores and not watching where I was going I overstepped the coping and KERSPLASH! I think it counts...

I haven't taken the cover off mine yet. This stupid weather keeps teasing me with mid 70's for a couple days then 40's and rain. Once I get it open it will be hard to stay out. The first time the water is close to 70, and its high 70's with lots of sun out, I will be in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.