Standing on sides of AGP

Sep 4, 2007
SE Minnesota
We have a 28' round pool. The deck only covers about 1/3 of the pool. We have a plastic fence surrounding the rest of the pool. As you can imagine, it's a little tricky to vacuum the pool from the outside. Are you supposed to stand on the sidewalls of an AGP? My husband has a fit every time my toes even touches one of the siderails!
Thanks!

I never owned and AG pool but when I was a kid I remember watching my neighbor vacuum his pool
walking on the edge, then I watched him ride the big wave across the yard into the neighbors yard
when the wall gave way. Very funny stuff :lol:

unless its your pool :grrrr:

jb :monkey:

Growing up as a kid, my Dad always would stand on the walls to vacuum. He has always been a good sized guy, 200+lbs, and we never had a problem. Maybe we just got lucky :lol:
I think it also depends on whether your pool is steel, aluminum, or resin. I have a steel, resin coated pool and I was told it would be fine to stand on the walls. We have not had to do that to vaccum yet, and I am not sure if I would want to anyway. I am not very coordinated! :oops:

The guy who constructed our pool said it was probably okay to stand on the upright supports but for us to try to avoid standing on the railing which is only supported by the wall. Makes sense, since it does give a little. I'm sure the age of the pool, materials and all that are a factor. I say give yourself an auto cleaner from Santa. Then you have no worries. :-D

Our pool is an older steel (don't know how old, we bought it used, maybe 10 years) Doughboy.
I usually do get in to clean it, but with the weather turning cooler, I am not getting in to vacuum before we close. The fence around the perimeter makes it so I have to hold the pole above my head to vacuum what I can't reach on the deck.
I agree with an auto cleaner, a Pool Rover is on my wish list and I'm pushing hard for it for next year!

MNpoolmom said:
We have a 28' round pool. The deck only covers about 1/3 of the pool. We have a plastic fence surrounding the rest of the pool. As you can imagine, it's a little tricky to vacuum the pool from the outside. Are you supposed to stand on the sidewalls of an AGP? My husband has a fit every time my toes even touches one of the siderails!
Thanks!

Pool installer told me that you could walk the rails...I have a resin pool, but he cautioned me no more than about 250 Lbs. Still I haven't wanted to risk it...my son had a pool party with about 10 of his teen aged friends, and they all stood on the side and jumped in...the huge tsunami affect afterward was what scared me. Not the wall collapsing. I just don't let anyone walk the rails anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.