Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Standing on sides of AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Standing on sides of AGP

We have a 28' round pool. The deck only covers about 1/3 of the pool. We have a plastic fence surrounding the rest of the pool. As you can imagine, it's a little tricky to vacuum the pool from the outside. Are you supposed to stand on the sidewalls of an AGP? My husband has a fit every time my toes even touches one of the siderails!
    Thanks!
    28' AG, 17000 gal., sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Standing on sides of AGP

I never owned and AG pool but when I was a kid I remember watching my neighbor vacuum his pool
    walking on the edge, then I watched him ride the big wave across the yard into the neighbors yard
    when the wall gave way. Very funny stuff

unless its your pool

jb
    14x28 IG Vinyl
    12.5k gal
    Hayward SP-Super Pump
    Hayward Pro-Grid 36sqft DE
    Hayward auto chlorine feeder (offline:using BBB)
    Hayward AG Gas heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I always get in the pool to vacuum! Good excuse to take a little dip. Or you can just have a loooong pole, or get an automatic vacuum. I wouldn't stand on the siderails.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Growing up as a kid, my Dad always would stand on the walls to vacuum. He has always been a good sized guy, 200+lbs, and we never had a problem. Maybe we just got lucky
    I think it also depends on whether your pool is steel, aluminum, or resin. I have a steel, resin coated pool and I was told it would be fine to stand on the walls. We have not had to do that to vaccum yet, and I am not sure if I would want to anyway. I am not very coordinated!
    Sharkline 18x33 54"AG, Hayward 1.5hp Perflex D.E., TF-100 test kit

Finally....a pool of our own!

5. Back To Top    #5

The guy who constructed our pool said it was probably okay to stand on the upright supports but for us to try to avoid standing on the railing which is only supported by the wall. Makes sense, since it does give a little. I'm sure the age of the pool, materials and all that are a factor. I say give yourself an auto cleaner from Santa. Then you have no worries.
    Ballparkmom
    16 x 33 x 52" AG pool, Hayward Vari-flo pump & sand filter, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 1 return, Zodiac LM3 24,000 SWG, Pool Rover Jr., 2 kids & a million toys

6. Back To Top    #6

Our pool is an older steel (don't know how old, we bought it used, maybe 10 years) Doughboy.
    I usually do get in to clean it, but with the weather turning cooler, I am not getting in to vacuum before we close. The fence around the perimeter makes it so I have to hold the pole above my head to vacuum what I can't reach on the deck.
    I agree with an auto cleaner, a Pool Rover is on my wish list and I'm pushing hard for it for next year!
    28' AG, 17000 gal., sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by MNpoolmom
    We have a 28' round pool. The deck only covers about 1/3 of the pool. We have a plastic fence surrounding the rest of the pool. As you can imagine, it's a little tricky to vacuum the pool from the outside. Are you supposed to stand on the sidewalls of an AGP? My husband has a fit every time my toes even touches one of the siderails!
    Thanks!
    Pool installer told me that you could walk the rails...I have a resin pool, but he cautioned me no more than about 250 Lbs. Still I haven't wanted to risk it...my son had a pool party with about 10 of his teen aged friends, and they all stood on the side and jumped in...the huge tsunami affect afterward was what scared me. Not the wall collapsing. I just don't let anyone walk the rails anymore.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer