Cheap option for cl2 addition. SWG, stenner, and liquidator too much.

n240sxguy

May 17, 2014
Benton, KY
Alright, here's the story. I need a replacement SWG system. I don't have/don't want to spend $1000 on a SWG at this time. A stenner is right up my alley, but more than I want to spend on such a simple device. The liquidator seems cool, and I found in on sale for $120. Not bad, but if I have to compare the price of bleach vs an SWG, the equipment needs to be nearly $0 to even make sense. Based on my crude math, it would take three years of bleach to equal the price of an SWG. If I don't want to add it by hand, it doesn't need to cost much to add it before the SWG pulls way ahead $ wise. I've seen where people have used the "buttons" to limit flow of bleach to the suction side of their pump. I've also seen people use needle valves to do the same thing. Has anyone used a water pump, like the liquidator apparently uses, to inject chlorine? I'm thinking about taking water from the pressure side of the system, after the filter, running it through the jet, and back to the suction of the pump. This is the device I'm thinking about. It's polypropylene which has decent resistance to sodium hydrochloride up until 140 degrees. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004A...SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=31WWS10AsZL&ref=plSrch
What say ye?

Venturi injectors will draw a chemical into the plumbing, but the injection rate will vary too much to be useful solution. In the long run there will usually also be clogging problems.

There are other brands of peristaltic metering pumps besides Stenner. Some of them are good enough to be usable and much less expensive.

In my setup, the only variable should be whether the booster pump is running. Maybe a dirty filter dropping the pressure could be an issue. I was wondering how the salts precipitating out would cause clogging. I have an 1/8" solenoid valve from another project that I could use instead of cutting back the flow with a needle valve. Not sure if that would alleviate the plugging or not. Are the other pumps you mention the little 6 & 12 v ones on eBay, or do you have others in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way way more will affect the injection rate aside from the booster pump being on. The filter getting dirty makes a large difference. The amount of bleach in the supply tank will make a difference. The temperature will make a difference, and on and on and on.

Search for "peristaltic metering pumps" on e-bay. There are many many choices. Some of the aquarium systems are fairly well made.

I hadn't thought about the pressure difference as the tank level drops, or the viscosity changing with temperature. I guess that's why the liquidator maintains a constant liquid level via the float valve? Sounds like this method has been disproven. Now to find a peristaltic pump for under $40. eBay purchases lack the reviews that Amazon has. That's the only drawback there. I'll check them all out and see what the best deal is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.