Worn down weights from a Kreepy Krauly -- are they lead?

Mar 4, 2015
hayward, ca
Hi all, I'm a new pool owner for a few months and this site has been wonderfully helpful. I'm in the process of upgrading a Kreepy Krauly (with a Poolvergnuegen 4X!). Upon dismantling the Krauly, I noticed this weight bar had several of its weights worn through the plastic enclosure. These feel like they are made out of lead (but I would hope not). Should I be concerned about having lead contamination in my pool now?

Attachments

• 15 - 1.jpg
    15 - 1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 66
Welcome to TFP andrewsan!

I can't tell from the photo if they are, and I've never owned one of these. Have you scratched them with something or done something else to determine if they are Lead? It looks a little dark for being Lead, but I'm guessing from here.

They do certainly feel like lead (soft and scratchable). Again I'm new to pool ownership, so I'm not exactly sure how this ballast bar is supposed to function with the cleaner head -- clearly it was scraping around the walls/floor of the pool. I will be contacting Pentair to see if they have a response, and I will be doing a diy water test in the short term.

A DIY water test for Lead?

Maybe they are lead, and if so, I guess you'll have to keep replacing the weights before they wear through the skin.

Seems a potential liability for them in this day and age. I fully appreciate the dangers of Lead, but it's surprising they would still use them with all the hysteria surrounding almost anything made from it these days.

just FYI, as a follow-up -- i tested the metal with a lead-test stick used for lead paint. it came out positive, so i'm quite convinced that these lead weights have been dragging around my pool for some time. ugh. Check your old Kauly's. Pentair did not respond to my inquiry...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.