Pool Closing Questions

Jul 21, 2008
St Marys, Kansas
After having a great summer using BBB (converted from Baquacil) I am planning to close my pool in the next two weeks... before I do I have questions regarding the following tips from the 'Pool School':

* Drain water to 6' below lowest return/skimmer opening and hoses/fittings removed.

I can drain the water to the lowest point, but not sure how to drain the extra 6 inches... do I need a submersible pump?

* A polyquat algaecide may be administered per dosing instructions on product (optional.) Distribute evenly with brush, leaf rake or leaf skimmer.

I live in NE Kansas... is a polyquat algaecide 'required' in my neck of the woods?

welcome to TFP!!

You can always hook up the vacuum to get the extra water out :wink:

The algaecide is optional, it's a nice bit of insurance, but not a necessity if you have a clean and well chlorinated pool when the cover goes on :thumleft:

Have a good winter and I hope to see you here next spring (unless, like some of us, you visit the site year- round) :)

Setup for vacuuming as usual before the water level goes below the skimmer. If you have more than one skimmer, turn off all of the skimmers other than the one with the vacuum. Leave the vacuum head near the bottom of the pool, and pump away.

Using this approach you will tend to lose prime after a while, but it should be fine for what you want to do. To increase the odds of maintaing prime you can run a small pump (say a cover pump) pumping water into the skimmer to prevent any air leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.