Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Closing Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

St Marys, Kansas

Pool Closing Questions

After having a great summer using BBB (converted from Baquacil) I am planning to close my pool in the next two weeks... before I do I have questions regarding the following tips from the 'Pool School':

* Drain water to 6' below lowest return/skimmer opening and hoses/fittings removed.

I can drain the water to the lowest point, but not sure how to drain the extra 6 inches... do I need a submersible pump?

* A polyquat algaecide may be administered per dosing instructions on product (optional.) Distribute evenly with brush, leaf rake or leaf skimmer.

I live in NE Kansas... is a polyquat algaecide 'required' in my neck of the woods?
    Jason M

11k gallons,
    Lomart Whispering Winds AG (15 x 30 oval)
    Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 1.5 HP pump,
    Waterway Clearwater II Cartridge Filter (120 GPM max flow),
    1 sidewall skimmer / 1 return,
    Waterco 80k BTU Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Bucyrus, Ohio

Re: Pool Closing Questions

Yes you can use a submiserible pump or you can use a siphoning(spelling?) hose.

As far as an algeaside, it isnt a MUST do but it does help from all the advise I have gotten
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

welcome to TFP!!

You can always hook up the vacuum to get the extra water out

The algaecide is optional, it's a nice bit of insurance, but not a necessity if you have a clean and well chlorinated pool when the cover goes on

Have a good winter and I hope to see you here next spring (unless, like some of us, you visit the site year- round)
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Ont. Canada

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    welcome to TFP!!

You can always hook up the vacuum to get the extra water out

Can you elaborate on how it is done?

16000 gallons GRAND BEND ig vinyl pool, Sta-Rite Dynaglas 1hp pump and System III modular cartridge filter 300ft2, Jandy Aqua Pure 1400 salt generator, 325000btu LJ gas heater, 2 Pentair 500 watts lights, 4 deck jets.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

Setup for vacuuming as usual before the water level goes below the skimmer. If you have more than one skimmer, turn off all of the skimmers other than the one with the vacuum. Leave the vacuum head near the bottom of the pool, and pump away.

Using this approach you will tend to lose prime after a while, but it should be fine for what you want to do. To increase the odds of maintaing prime you can run a small pump (say a cover pump) pumping water into the skimmer to prevent any air leaks.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School