New Pool Problem with Pump

Oct 3, 2014
Conroe, TX
Hi!

Our pool was finished in December. We were in the spa a week ago when the pump quit working. I could see power on the control panel on the house went out. We tried flipping breakers and switches but nothing seem to instantly make it work. However after a few seconds we'd notice we had power to the panel again. The pump would start with a loud screeching noise. This wasn't the first time it sounded like that. The pump would go through it's priming stage and then we'd lose power again. This happened at least twice. The breakers were not tripped but we'd do the flipping breaker thing again hoping it would do something. We'd get power to the panel again but it was delayed from when we flipped the breakers so I'm not sure we were causing it to get power again or if it was randomly getting power back. The entire time we never lost power to the heater (panel was lit), pool lights, or the spa bubbler. We were able to get it to run long enough that night to finish our time in the spa. The next morning we lost power during the regularly scheduled pool cleaning time. I got it to run again for a few days by doing the flipping breaker thing but now I get no power to the panel no matter what I try.

I called in a warranty repair to A&S the night it happened and the company doing the warranty work (different from A&S) said they had similar problems with other customers pumps being loud and not working and they would order me a new pump. The guy tried to look at it Monday but didn't call beforehand and our dog was out with no one home to put her up and he wouldn't go in the backyard. So he never actually looked at anything.

My water is starting to look horrible. I have a line of pollen on my rocks. The kids are sad because they don't get to go in. :( The pool repair guy said Jandy has to BUILD me a pump and it would take at least 7-10 business days. I have left a message asking if he thinks it is even related to the pump at all since I'm not getting power at the panel. He said he'd come out Friday and look at other possibilities. Basically I think he jumped the gun not looking at it and just ordering a new pump right off the bat. Now he says he didn't know that we weren't getting power to the panel because I didn't tell him. I'm pretty sure I did.

Anyone want to guess what my problem might be? How bad is it going to be to have my water sit there without cycling for another week or two if I have to wait on a pump? Is there anything I should be doing?

Thank you.

No idea what the problem with the pump is, but there is no reason for your water to look "horrible" it might be dirty, but if you maintain adequate FC levels and mix it in by brushing, you will prevent algae from growing and the water will be safe.

Are you still using the tablet feeder listed in your signature? Have been keeping an eye on the CYA?

Post up a full set of test results.

Jandy has to build you a pump??? I think somebody's yanking your chain.

If you've really got a problem w/ your pump, it sounds like it's the pump motor. There's gotta be a pump repair place near Conroe that services the electric motors that run swimming pool pumps. Not a swimming pool place!!! If you can find such a place and you can disconnect the motor from the pump, take it in for service. Commercial pump places know the urgency of getting pumps back on line and can probably do much better than 7-10 days.

This has been my tack for 20 years here in NoVA. Virginia Pump has been a life saver.

Good luck!

No idea what the problem with the pump is, but there is no reason for your water to look "horrible" it might be dirty, but if you maintain adequate FC levels and mix it in by brushing, you will prevent algae from growing and the water will be safe.

Are you still using the tablet feeder listed in your signature? Have been keeping an eye on the CYA?

Post up a full set of test results.

jb

I'm at work but I will get results when I can. Yes I'm still using the feeder. I figured I'd have to do it this way until my warranty runs out. I don't want them giving me any trouble if I have to call in a warranty repair. "Horrible" to me is not the crystal clear water I've been used to. You're right, it is dirty. I've got bugs and a slick of pollen right now. So it sounds like I need to maintain the FC manually. That's what I was wondering. This may seem like a no-brainer to the experts but I'm a complete dummie on pool care. This is my first pool. Do I break up the tablets or go buy something else?

Jandy has to build you a pump??? I think somebody's yanking your chain.

If you've really got a problem w/ your pump, it sounds like it's the pump motor. There's gotta be a pump repair place near Conroe that services the electric motors that run swimming pool pumps. Not a swimming pool place!!! If you can find such a place and you can disconnect the motor from the pump, take it in for service. Commercial pump places know the urgency of getting pumps back on line and can probably do much better than 7-10 days.

This has been my tack for 20 years here in NoVA. Virginia Pump has been a life saver.

Good luck!

Yeah it sounded off to me as well. I'm sure the guys servicing the warranty for A&S don't do repairs, they probably get more money from A&S replacing parts, ya think? I'd really rather wait using the warranty then pay out of pocket. But I'll keep that in mind for when the warranty runs out and I'm doing this myself. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.