Mule

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2010
Hello TFP,
Thanks for the posts on my other post. I know, too long of a post...so I'll
keep this one short:

I have about an inch of algae on the bottom of my pool. I am going to order
a robot (probably the dolphin premier, expensive!) to help keep the pool clean.
Do you have any suggestions for removing the algae? Should I:
1) Get a shovel or something and try to remove it with a tool?
2) Let the robot run and the filter handle the algae trough the skimmer?
3) Any other suggestions?

I asked a pool guy to come out and give me an estimate to move my pumping
station and I told him about the algae. Without seeing my pool, he suggested
that I might need an acid wash to remove all of the algae. That seems a bit
extreme to me. And expensive. Any thoughts? Thanks. Mule

Without draining the pool, you need to remove as much as possible mechanically. By brushing with a stiff stainless bristle brush. Then SLAM it. You can vacuum and or vacuum to waste as much as you possibly can to remove the bulk before you begin SLAM.

Also, and most importantly, spend some time in pool school studying the ABCs, defeating Algae, and SLAM.

The robot is not for removing Algae.

The Dolphin will not clean up that kind of mess, as Patrick says you will have to do as much as possible mechanically. The Dolphin filters will clog much too fast to make it worthwhile as a clean up tool. It is more of a keep it clean tool.

SLAM, vacuum & scrape

The robot was just wishful thinking. I was pretty doubtful. I've been watching the other post
with jaja. I should have my new pump today: Pentair Superflow 2sp, 1.5 HP. Hopefully, on
high speed, that will operate my vacuum and I'll send it to waste. that should get me moving in
the right direction.

@Patrick: "stiff stainless bristle brush"? Not the fiberglass brush? Is it not strong enough for this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.