Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Years of algae on bottom of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Years of algae on bottom of pool

Hello TFP,
    Thanks for the posts on my other post. I know, too long of a post...so I'll
    keep this one short:

I have about an inch of algae on the bottom of my pool. I am going to order
    a robot (probably the dolphin premier, expensive!) to help keep the pool clean.
    Do you have any suggestions for removing the algae? Should I:
    1) Get a shovel or something and try to remove it with a tool?
    2) Let the robot run and the filter handle the algae trough the skimmer?
    3) Any other suggestions?

I asked a pool guy to come out and give me an estimate to move my pumping
    station and I told him about the algae. Without seeing my pool, he suggested
    that I might need an acid wash to remove all of the algae. That seems a bit
    extreme to me. And expensive. Any thoughts? Thanks. Mule
    Dark plaster in-ground, 25K gallons, Triton II sand fliter, Teledyne Laars Series 2 ESG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner,
    Circupool RJ45 SWCG, one skimmer doesn't work (any suggestions for snaking this or determining why it doesn't
    work?), using 12mil bubble wrap solar cover, Marquis 660 hot tub using liquid bleach.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Years of algae on bottom of pool

Without draining the pool, you need to remove as much as possible mechanically. By brushing with a stiff stainless bristle brush. Then SLAM it. You can vacuum and or vacuum to waste as much as you possibly can to remove the bulk before you begin SLAM.

Also, and most importantly, spend some time in pool school studying the ABCs, defeating Algae, and SLAM.

The robot is not for removing Algae.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

The Dolphin will not clean up that kind of mess, as Patrick says you will have to do as much as possible mechanically. The Dolphin filters will clog much too fast to make it worthwhile as a clean up tool. It is more of a keep it clean tool.

SLAM, vacuum & scrape
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

The robot was just wishful thinking. I was pretty doubtful. I've been watching the other post
    with jaja. I should have my new pump today: Pentair Superflow 2sp, 1.5 HP. Hopefully, on
    high speed, that will operate my vacuum and I'll send it to waste. that should get me moving in
    the right direction.

@Patrick: "stiff stainless bristle brush"? Not the fiberglass brush? Is it not strong enough for this?
    Dark plaster in-ground, 25K gallons, Triton II sand fliter, Teledyne Laars Series 2 ESG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner,
    Circupool RJ45 SWCG, one skimmer doesn't work (any suggestions for snaking this or determining why it doesn't
    work?), using 12mil bubble wrap solar cover, Marquis 660 hot tub using liquid bleach.

5. Back To Top    #5

It might be, try it out. It just sounds bad, but you'll find out soon enough with a little scrubbing.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem