Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low water

1. Back To Top    #1

Low water

I am in the process of slamming our pool. I have been filtering and backwashing since last Friday. Everything was going good until I went out to test this morning and my water was about 4" below skimmer level. I knew it was getting close to me need ing to add water and I planned to do that this evening, but it dropped about 6" over night. My question is, once the level gets below the skimmer, should it drop rapidly if the pump is going?
    35000 gal vinyl inground. Sand filter. Age unknown

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low water

Does your pool have a bottom drain?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I think so. Ive never seen it because we bought the house a few months ago and the pool was green. But i can feel it when i rake for leaves and brush.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

when the pump is running, do you see water movement in the backwash sight glass? Honestly it sounds like you're draining the pool via backwash unless I'm misunderstanding the scenario.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

When i back washed it last night there was water in the site glass. What i dont understand is how the water level dropped so rapidly when all i did was run the filter all night. The pump and filter were still going this morning but there wasnt much water coming out the return jets. And the water was below the skimmer. Somehow i lost 6" of water during the night while i was just running on filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Could be a leaking backwash valve. Has happened to me after setting it to filter but it was not fully seated and I lost a lot of water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by phillipwyse View Post
    When i back washed it last night there was water in the site glass. What i dont understand is how the water level dropped so rapidly when all i did was run the filter all night. The pump and filter were still going this morning but there wasnt much water coming out the return jets. And the water was below the skimmer. Somehow i lost 6" of water during the night while i was just running on filter.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Could be a leaking backwash valve. Has happened to me after setting it to filter but it was not fully seated and I lost a lot of water.
    THe above quote from Jason is what I was getting at. Are you currently losing water via backwash?

Regarding your poor pressure from the return jets...

Is there air in the pump basket now? I would assume there is...assuming you have your suction set to the skimmers and the main drain. If you are pulling just from the main drain, there's a strong possibility (depending on the age of the pool) that you aren't moving much water due to debris covering the main drain. Newer pools have a dual main drain (anti-entrapment) which will lessen the likelihood of this being your problem. It's still entirely plausible if you have much debris. What do you see in the pump basket?

Can you see the bottom of the pool currently?
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

8. Back To Top    #8

I cant see the the drain right now. The pool is still cloudy from the slam. I have raked and raked around the drain and i dont think there is a bunch of debris there but im not positive. Im betting its the leaky valve. How do I fix that? Could i put a manual valve in the backwash line down flow of the filter? Or do i need to replace the entire valve mechanism on the top of the filter? Thanks guys. All the help yall have given me in the past 2 weeks has saved me alot of money. Im hoping this isnt a costly fix also!

9. Back To Top    #9

No, if that's it, you should try replacing the multiport/spider gasket first. It's likely simple as that.

Your multiport valve on top of your filter has a gasket inside, and if you scroll down on the page linked below, there is a picture of one. You remove all the screws on top of your valve and take it apart to get at it.

Pool equipment pictures
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks guys. Im not sure what I'd do without yall and TFP. I'll check it out as soon as I get home today.