One light or 2?

axakim

Mar 21, 2015
caribbean
Hi we are a new pool build - small pool 21' x 15, have to decide on lighting in the next 2 days. Would one underwater light look strange? Thinking Pentair 300w LED's. Also is it worth the extra $200-300 for color?

I think one light is plenty, we have one 500w light and it is fine. Color is a more personal choice, I'm not a big fan. But, we don't use our light much anyway because of the dang bugs.

If you do go with LED, I would recommend to get a 500 Watt equivalent if you want your pool well lit. LEDs just do not have the intensity of an incandescent light bulb.
I replaced my 500W incandescent bulb with 500W LED, and my best guess is the LED is at least 30% less effective.

As to wheter its worth the extra cost.. .well, thats just a personal choice. I do like the different color changing shows at times, but usually, I just leave it on regular white.

Hi we are a new pool build - small pool 21' x 15, have to decide on lighting in the next 2 days. Would one underwater light look strange? Thinking Pentair 300w LED's. Also is it worth the extra $200-300 for color?

We have 2 spa LED's in the main pool area(one in the spa also). If you discount the tanning ledge which blocks the light from getting to the back edge of pool. That makes about a 25 by 15 area lighted by the two spa lights in the main pool and it works well. The spa lights are a little cheaper but not as powerful. Other factors are how much night swimming you plan on doing. Kids love the color changing LED's, I do also. The LED's use a little less electrical power, a small factor when it would take many years to get the extra cost back in lower electrical bills.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.