Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Studio Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Studio Question

I'm just getting started in planning a pool design, and I was wondering how people have managed their use of Pool Studio. I'm personally not used to software that only works as you pay by the month, so I'm trying to minimize my cost if it takes me a year or two to design and start construction on our pool. My understanding is that you cannot buy a copy of the program, and you can only use it while you pay the $100/month activation. So, I'm assuming the only way to do this is to buy it, use it, and then shelve it during any time when I think I will be away from it for a full month.

It's a shame because I would like to take our time and tweak the design over time, without potentially spending a grand or more on just the use of the software. Please let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Studio Question

Welcome to TFP Newgene!

I can't say sorry, as most people utilize it through their builder as part of the build process. More people may do what you are talking about with it, but I haven't heard much about that here. If it was feasible for you, it sounds like a great idea though. Certainly nothing wrong with the idea.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I really like the software, and I will surely try the demo. I'm not sure how close to the actual version it is. The youtube videos of the design surely make it LOOK simple.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

one of the local Pool builders used it for my bid. Sadly they had zero comprehension of what we were wanting. It's a neat piece of software, I actually drew out pool plans using a free software, I think it was google sketchup. I measured my backyard and plotted everything out. We changed things quite a bit from the initial plan I had drawn up due to practical suggestions from the Pool builder. Then when they were digging I was present and made further changes for aesthetics. I think the programs are nice....but not at all necessary.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

I drew my pool deck and all the rest of it on graph paper by hand.
    I HATE trying to learn new software. HATE it.
    So I just drew it by hand and colored it with colored pencils.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    I drew my pool deck and all the rest of it on graph paper by hand.
    I HATE trying to learn new software. HATE it.
    So I just drew it by hand and colored it with colored pencils.
    A man after my own heart! LOL

Talk about easy to do and make changes!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I likely will draw it out in Visio. I did a lot of that when we built our house, but that really was just for dimensions. I also used a bunch of photoshop to overlay different images of bricks, shingles, etc. onto the face of our house plans. It made a difference in selecting colors or just how something would look on the house. I'll pass on Pool Studio at the price, but it would have been neat to have.