Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Intex Sand Filter install/Opening Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Intex Sand Filter install/Opening Pool

I have an Intex Ultra Frame 22ft AGP, I purchased an Intex sand filter system for this year.

Pool is green and dirty from the winter, I have been working to get leaves and debris out, but my concern is how do I prime the new Sand Filter, first time start up procedure with dirty green water?

I am supposed to backwash and rise until the water in the glass is clear but it's not going to be because I have dirty water? Is this ok just to do anyways and start running the filter and/or vacuuming to waste?

Another question I have is my pool came with the twist to open/close spouts from intex, the sand filter instructions say the plunger spouts are needed with this filter, is this true?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Intex Sand Filter install/Opening Pool

The reason to do that is to wash the sand off so any small dust does not end up in the pool. Since the water is a mess anyway, I might just skip the sand startup backwash ... or you could do it anyway with the dirty water. Will not hurt anything.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Intex Sand Filter install/Opening Pool

Ok thanks, I was worried maybe you needed clean water to settle the sand to help the filtration. That takes a big weight off my shoulders. Thanks.

My thinking here is to get water in the system, then vacuum all the mud to waste, start up the filter and add proper chems.