Pool has been unused at least 2 years....

If the tarp that is already there is big enough, you can add water on top of it while trash pumping like the guy in that link I posted did, aka, the sheet method. I personally would want to use visqueen to see, but he didn't. ;)

Eg. I dont remember your pool dimensions, but if you were only doing a partial, I would buy a box of this: http://t.homedepot.com/p/Husky-20-ft-x-100-ft-Clear-6-mil-Polyethylene-Sheeting-CFHK0620C/100651802 and cut it in half and duct tape the two halves together.

If you're trash-pumping some of it, you'll need to get the water back up to level anyway in order to run your filter/pump after.

I agree that the trash pump notion would help reduce some of the labor. It will dramatically reduce the amount of chlorine you'd need to restore the water too.

Baton Rouge, right in the middle.

Ok Cool, please add that to your profile once you add your pool details to your sig line.
I know you'll have to wait until you move into figure out the details, but all that information helps answer questions more than you know.

Sounds like a real drag with all the rules, so good luck in getting everything sorted out. Once you are in the SLAM, there will be plenty of us to help.

I ordered the TF-100 test kit XL option. I am considering picking up an aquabot pool rover for now, will probably end up with z5/m5 when funds recover. It is amazing how fast money goes when you have guys in the house who can fix stuff... There is a shed that has been locked by hud, it could have a bunch of pool supplies, nothing or a Porsche in it. Nobody knows. So I haven't bought any of the cheaper to get leaf rakes, poles, nets, etc. We have plenty of pool supply places in town once I get to cut that lock off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So,we closed today, took the time to start pulling the cover off... will wait for electricity to cut that thing up. It is built with 2X6 lumber that spans the pool. It has concrete wire reinforcement throughout. We got most of the tarp up, of course the water is black. Some of the steel reinforcement has been under water so plenty of iron in the water, and rust. I look forward to rust stains.

The one thing that worries me is there is a crack in the pool, I am not sure how serious a crack is in a Gunnite pool. I cannot see how far it goes, but it does seep water in, I could see the flow after a shower today.

Well, I was going to post a picture but I used all my space and can't figure out how to delete older pictures. I might try to remember my photobucket password later. Are cracks a season killer? Can you go a season with a crack?

I haven't even looked at how much the TFP subscription is... I am bleeding money right now. Anyway, I know how to post a picture from a hosting site... just don't remember my password... I will get to it.

I did more than uncover the pool. We tore out a wall of kitchen cabinets, had someone scrape most of the popcorn in the house, pulled up laminate flooring in 2 large rooms and dealt with permits... you have to get a permit to get a permit down here...

It is definite on a drain now, I was 50/50 on the issue until I saw the rusted wire. I have a few critters to get out also, too many critters to bleach them. They can be relocated to the creek, have to determine snake species first, I think this guy was just a water snake, slight possibility it could be a transitioning moccasin from Juvi to adult coloration.

Now do I resurface this year, or wait until the winter to resurface, re tile and redo the pool surround.

I bought a foreclosed house with a plaster pool that wasn't opened for at least one year. I came in with zero knowledge of anything to do with caring for a pool. The cover was on the pool when it came on the market, but obviously it wasn't installed at least one fall leaf cycle.

I paid to have the pool drained and acid washed and I feel that it worked out well because it had about a foot of debris and garbage. I had my hands full dealing with the delayed maintenance and repairs for the house that I didn't have the time or energy to tackle the pool, too.

My pool needs to be resurfaced and the plumbing needs to be replaced, but I've been putting it off because of other house repairs. My pool is very ugly, but it works for now.

Crack is just in the shell, up to the tile line.

Shed was empty, but very well built. Looks brand new on the inside. We will re skin it one day, right now we have other priorities. I will double the yard space by taking out the overgrown bushes, trees, vines, basically forest undergrowth... Some very expensive plants are hidden in the growth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.