Z5 acting strange

kevindlegg

Bronze Supporter
Dec 29, 2014
Mustang, OK
I've had this thing for about 3 months and haven't used it a lot due to the weather, but the times I have used it, it did a great job...until recently. All of a sudden, it's less responsive to the remote, it seems to want to go in tight circles and doesn't seem to actually run very long.

Anyone experienced any of this? BTW, my pool's chemistry isn't very good right now due to it being a new build, but it never was a problem until just the past few weeks.

Welcome to TFP Kevin!

Can't say I've heard that yet, but this particular unit has only been out about a year now. We have a few Z5 owners, my buddy has one, and this is the first I've heard about any trouble like this with them. Perhaps someone else will weigh in.

Fwiw. In the manual it has a pretty narrow ph range to operate in. I don't know that the "out of whack" chemicals caused your issue. But they couldn't possibly help motor life.

Something to consider at least.

Fwiw. In the manual it has a pretty narrow ph range to operate in. I don't know that the "out of whack" chemicals caused your issue. But they couldn't possibly help motor life.

Something to consider at least.

This is nonsense. Maybe over a number of years this might affect something, but certainly not so quickly. I've run with PH out of wack, with FC over 45 and even cleanup after a hurricane with parts of a screen enclosure in the pool.

Let's relax a little bit here...

I think Mcc was just going by what the manual said, and merely offered a suggestion. While I'm embarrassed to say it, I never even saw a pH range in my manual. :oops:

Maybe I should go back and read it, but I'm not worried I'll be out of range. ALL pool equipment Mfgrs usually stay within whatever guidelines are set forth by regulatory agencies no matter what products they are selling. Not knowing what the manual says, this could be what they list and why.

Whatever the case, I would tend to think chemical issues would have to be pretty extreme to cause a problem.

Got my Z5 back from Maytronics. They had to replace the motor. They were very prompt in getting it back to me. Still hard to swallow $70 shipping costs.

No matter the reason, I agree it would not make me happy to pay shipping when the unit is still so new. I would think they would pay a portion of it. You spend a lot of money on these things and unfortunately every once in awhile you get a dud and usually my luck goes that I am the one who gets the bad one.

Could be, but my Z5 probably didn't have 25 hours on it.

probably just a bad motor or seal if it was that new.

This is nonsense. Maybe over a number of years this might affect something, but certainly not so quickly. I've run with PH out of wack, with FC over 45 and even cleanup after a hurricane with parts of a screen enclosure in the pool.

You should re-read my post.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I assure you, I would not be happy about return or any amount of shipping. No question that it stinks, and they ought to pony up and cover that under warranty. It would be quite easy for them to send a shipping label.

I wouldn't be upset if not for everyone else that I've ever dealt with covering shipping for a warranty repair.

I feel you. I threw a fit when I had a similar experience (funny, it wasn't that long ago and I already don't remember who/what/why). I definitely understand that. Hopefully that's the last issue any of us have!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.