Start-Up tips after plaster repair

Mar 24, 2015
Biloxi, MS
All,

I am having a few spots repaired where rebar ties have rusted/bleed through the plaster. After the spots have been patched would I go about starting up my pool just as if it had a full replaster? Also, on the startup sections I didn't come across a step by step process on starting up with new water. I know ph is very important but I didn't find a method that introduced chlorine to the water. Btw i have a 20,000 gal gunite pool that is about 7 years old with a SWG. Second owner. Any info is greatly appreciated...thanks.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sorry you have not gotten a response yet.

The start-up would basically be the same for a full replaster I think. Usually you will just want to fill up the pool, circulate for an hour and run a full set of tests to see what needs to be adjusted.

Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits?

On thing to note, for a full replaster you do not want to add any salt to the water for the SWG for at least 30 days to allow the plaster to cure.

You will certainly need to add stabilizer (CYA) and chlorine (FC). You can add the FC with bleach, or if you have some trichlor tablets, this is one time where they can be useful since you need to add FC and CYA and keep the pH down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.