multi-port valve gasket

well, after a summer of frustration with the pool, i have thrown in the towel (yes, actually threw a towel right in the pool) and shut 'er down last week. i was advised here by my trusted pool gurus to check the gasket on the filters' multi-port valve because i was having problems with Crud blowing back into the pool when i vacumed. well, i took the top off & looked at the gasket (kinda like a wagon wheel with a couple of spokes missing) and it didn't look bad to me. what should i be checking for? if it's a bad gasket how should it look as compared to a good gasket? i've had the pool for 4 years. thanx for your help in this matter.

I had the same problem with my old sand filter. I would vac and after a few minutes, I could see dirt returning to the pool. I took the valve off and checked the sand bed, it seemed deep enough and there was no channeling. I backwashed it and continued vacuuming. After a few minutes dirt was returning to the pool. I was also having a problem with water escaping from the backwash hose when the valve was set to "recirculate". I knew the spider gasket had blown. At the beginning of this summer, I emptied the sand and checked the laterals. None were cracked. I put pea gravel in to cover the tops of the laterals and added the right amount of new sand. I replaced the entire valve with a new one because the old one was developing hairline cracks. No big deal. Everything seemed to be working pretty good and the tank developed a fracture in the neck below the compression ring for the valve. I also had another problem with water leaking from the backwash hose again when it was set to "recirculate", and this is from a new multiport valve. At this point I could replace the tank for about 300 or so dollars and replace the spider gasket. I had enough at this point. I decided to check on what was available and went with a cartridge filter and a brand new pump for less than the "tank only" option. Plus, I've only cleaned the cartridge once in the middle of summer. I won't clean it again until I close the pool sometime in October. And just for fun, I disassembled the new multiport valve I was using and guess what, there was nothing wrong with the spider gasket, it was pristine. Go figure.

I believe there is a possiblity your pump is too large for the filter. Some of the other members here might have a different opinion, especially the ones who use sand filters exclusively and have not had any problems.

thanx 'lion, that's just how it looks. so my vacuming problem is still a mystery. guess i'll figure it out in the spring. thanx again to all the pool gurus here at TFP for your help this summer. i'm sure i'll be calling on you again in the spring. 'till then, enjoy fall & winter if you can, cuz here in central illinois, that's something that is pretty hard to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.