Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Low CYA

Well here we go again with another cya thread but this has to deal with the California drought, we are nothing but sunny for the past month straight and due to hit our first 90 degree day this Friday and water temp is climbing. My pool averages 6+ hours of sun a day and my cya is right around 30, it takes almost the hole test tube for the dot to disappear on the k200, should I bring the cya up or just deal with it? I didn't know it has gotten so low but it's been really windy and my backyard is torn up and all dirt so I've done a lot of back washing all winter maybe 1 evey 2 weeks!
    Central valley, California. Inground pool built 1971, plaster, sand filter, hayward ecostar variable pump, 1.5" lines, roughly 25k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low CYA

You are at the low end of our recommended level for CYA so there is no rush to adjust it higher.

Are you using liquid chlorine to chlorinate the pool?

I suggest you track how much chlorine you are adding daily as this will give us more of an idea of how much to increase the CYA if any at all.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I would raise CYA now. There isn't any real rush, but we are getting into the start of the swimming season and it is nice to start the season at the high end of the normal range, so it will still be in range at the end the season .
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I would raise CYA now. There isn't any real rush, but we are getting into the start of the swimming season and it is nice to start the season at the high end of the normal range, so it will still be in range at the end the season .
    huge +1 to this.

I'd crank it to 45-50, personally. That's where mine is, full sun most of the day. Keeps the burn off at a minimum.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

We'll I probably have year old 3" pucks that I bought before this site, I probably have 30 of them you think those will help or just go buy conditioner

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

They will work.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't put the pucks in the skimmer.

Also at the bottom of Pool Math is "Effects of adding chemicals" that can help you determine how much cya you're adding by using the pucks.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I assumed so, thanks guys. Last question I found a leak near my skimmer and te pool and it has grout with a hole, I've tried jb water weld with no luck, anything better out there?

9. Back To Top    #9

A leak in what typed of material? Probably A-B epoxy/compound from the pool store.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach