Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low PH and low CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Low PH and low CYA

Just wanting a thumbs ups or down on my approach.
    First of all in N. Tex we have had a lot of rain the past month. I pumped water out of the pool twice in a 4 day period. When the level reached the top of the skimmer opening I would pump down to mid level of the skimmer(approx 2.5"). Like I said did this twice. Been using bleach to supplement the FC during the winter. Here is the full test results from 2 days ago.
    FC 4.5
    PH 7.0
    TA 110
    Ch 250
    CYA 50.
    Water temp 69
    So, I believe the reason for the low PH and CYA is the influx of fresh water. So according to pool math I am in the process of adding 19 oz of stabilizer and aereating at the same time to combat the low PH and the drop that will occur during the stabilizer addition. Or should I go straight to liquid stabilizer to prevent the PH from dropping any further?
    Am I processing this correctly? Thanks for any inpit
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low PH and low CYA

You are doing fine. There is no reason to use liquid stabilizer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I would just aerate and use the stabilizer granules ... although no huge hurry on raising the CYA. Mine is also around 50ppm right now, but the water is still cool and the sun is not intense enough to really need it higher yet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone......see I am getting the hang of this. So easy...just reasurrance. So should I stop the stabilizer addition until it gets warmer
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

5. Back To Top    #5

I also vote for holding off on the stabilizer addition for now. Are you running your SWG or are you still maintaining FC with bleach?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Running swg

7. Back To Top    #7

You're fine, and yes forget about liquid Cya. It really isn't a good buy compared to dry.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone