Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sundance Spa popping breaker..

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Sundance Spa popping breaker..

Spa heats fine....2 speed pump runs fine. When I hit the high speed pump main breaker pops. Disconnected high speed pump and all is fine...took high speed pump and in and it bench tests fine...

Now what...??

2002 Sundance Cameo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sundance Spa popping breaker..

I'm sorry I can't answer but I wanted to say welcome to TFP, and give your thread a bump. Hopefully someone can make a suggestion.

TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

As an electrician and electrical designer I might be able to help if you can supply more detailed information.

Did you just install the spa and discovered this problem or has it been installed and working fine for some time and just now started tripping the breaker?

What do you mean by main breaker? Is this the service entrance main breaker in the panel that feeds your entire house or the breaker that feeds just your spa?

If it is the breaker feeding just your spa, what size is it? Is it a GFCI breaker?

I found the installation and owner's manual for your spa online. It provides information about the electrical circuit requirements. Here is the URL:

http://www.sundancespas.com/Communic...s/02850Man.pdf

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum C5Mike.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks woodyp. I just subscribed to this thread and my reply to the original question disappeared. What did I do wrong?
    2003 Hot Spring Sovereign spa, 355 gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

has been fine since install in 2002...

7. Back To Top    #7

Your post still appears here C5mike. It was a double post seems like. Pm me if you have any issues.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

oh and its the breaker at the spa...50 amp... GFCI

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum JMCfan

So ...
    It's been working for a couple of years and just started tripping the 50 amp GFCI when you turn on the high speed pump

Is this 50A breaker in the main panel for your home or in a remote location near the hot tube ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Remote.... near the spa.

11. Back To Top    #11

Can you tell if the breaker is tripping on overload or ground fault?

If it is overload and it has worked fine for years, it may be time to replace the breaker. Motors, especially loaded motors have a starting current which can be about 6 times the running load which can exceed the ampere rating of the breaker. Breakers are built to withstand this momentary inrush but can get weak over time and no longer be able to withstand it. It is probably a thermal magnetic breaker and the magnetic trip portion may have weaken after many cycles of heavy inrush. If the running current on the breaker has been close to it's rating of 50 amps, the thermal element may have weakened and be the cause.

Since your spa can be configured 3 different ways, it is possible that the breaker should have been a 60 amp from the beginning. Check to see if it is set up in the 60 amp configuration listed in the owner's manual, that is such that the heater, both pumps and the air blower can operate simultaneously.

If it is tripping on ground fault, you should have an electrician diagnose and fix the problem.
    2003 Hot Spring Sovereign spa, 355 gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

A lot of times its tripping because its under an abnormal load, have you checked your filter lately? Usually I find that's all a lot of people really need!
    25,000 gal Vinyl inground and Spa, S8S70 Sta-Rite, 250 Master Temp, 1.5hp Hayward VS Superpump