Adjusting return jets...

Jan 2, 2015
Punta Gorda, Fl
Ok, it sounds like there are some general rules (use the jets to get good water movement away from the skimmer barely rippling the water surface, but create a rotation so that the old water gets pushed by the skimmer). Sounds well and good, but then I look in my pool and wonder exactly how do I apply those basic principles... A picture to help with the discussion:

2015-03-24 09.12.22.jpg

So, the basic idea for this pool, is that water is pulled out via the drain on the bottom (deep end of pool 5' deep) and the skimmer (shallow end of pool 3' deep). Water is returned to the pool via the spa (which overflows via water fall into the main pool), return jets, and the bottom clean out system.

Just to keep things interesting there are 2 types of return jets:

2015-03-24 09.23.40.jpg

Of the 7 return jets in the pool, three are of the type on the left and four are of the type on the right. If you start numbering with the lower right corner as 1 and go clockwise, the three jets are 1, 3, 7. They can end up in any position if different locations would be deemed better.

From what I see, the difficulty is that the waterfall pushes water away from the skimmer and it's difficult to see water getting past that to be skimmed. It happens because I see stuff in the skimmer basket, and I would like to do what i can to make sure the circulation is as good as I can get it with what I have. BTW, it seems like the bottom clean outs and the return jets have water allowed through them in a rotating fashion (one or two jets at a time, and then the bottom clean outs one at a time, on about a two minute cycle).

My questions have to do with how to adjust the valves controlling how much water is sent to each of the three return systems, and how to point the return jets. So, comments, suggestions, or questions are all welcomed to help me learn what I'm doing...:)

I would set your return jets to generate a counter clockwise flow, the waterfall will also help with this. About equal flow to all. Should work like a charm! Also, I would only turn on the waterfall when you are out there, not all the time, it will raise your ph and increase evaporation.

Sorry, for your filter cycle, yes, you do need to circulate water through you spa. Seems like it will work counter clockwise even with the overflow running.

Usually in spill-over mode, you do not want to have any suction from the spa ... because like you said it is hard to balance. Or at least you want to be sure that there is more water going into the spa than there is being sucked out.

You might want to consider seeing if you can run most of the pump time in Pool only mode and just run in spill over mode for 30-60 minutes a day to maintain chemical balance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.