Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thinking of repacing my pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Thinking of repacing my pump

I am considering replacing my pump for a more efficient one. I have been reading on TFP about the advantages of the VSP's and that seems like the direction I want to go. I was looking at the Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar but am not sure if its an overkill. Would upgrading my filter to 60Sft make more sense than spending on a new pump?
    IG Plaster 28,920 Gallons. KDI American DE Filter 48 SQ FT (Model 584090). AO Smith SQ1072 Pool Pump Motor 3/4 HP. Polaris F9300 Sport. TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thinking of repacing my pump

In Pensilvania you will never save enough on electricity to pay the up front costs of a large variable speed pump like the EcoStar, especially if you are replacing a pump that is currently working. If you had to replace the pump anyway you best choice would be a two speed pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you very much for the timely response. My Feet to Head is about 30ft. Is there a 2 speed pump you can recommend? I have a timer on my existing pump.
    IG Plaster 28,920 Gallons. KDI American DE Filter 48 SQ FT (Model 584090). AO Smith SQ1072 Pool Pump Motor 3/4 HP. Polaris F9300 Sport. TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

How do you know you have 30' of head? Although knowing this does not matter at all.

Is there anything wrong with your existing pump? If not, you could just buy the equivalent sized motor in a 2-speed variant and install it on your existing pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I came up with that figure by averaging distance from both skimmers plus main drain. I will get more accurate measurements later this week when it warms up because that was entirely an estimation with no tape. There is actually nothing wrong with my existing pump and I just had the motor replaced last season. I thought I would save some money and be able to circulate the water longer with a VSP.

6. Back To Top    #6

That is not how you determine head loss, it is not that easy ... but like I said there is no need to know it.

Why do you need to circulate the water longer? Have you seen this article: Determine Pump Run Time

The cheapest path forward would be to get a 2-speed motor for you existing pump. Even then it may take a long time to save more in electricity to offset the added cost of buying a new motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Is there anything wrong with your existing pump? If not, you could just buy the equivalent sized motor in a 2-speed variant and install it on your existing pump.
    X2 what he said. I replaced my motor with a 2-speed and haven't regretted a thing. Mostly run on low.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Is there a 2 speed pump you recommend that can replace the one I have with minimal trouble. I have the (AO Smith SQ1072 Pool Pump Motor 3/4 HP). I am okay with replacing the motor by itself but the basket is such a pain to open and clean.

9. Back To Top    #9

What pump do you actually have? You keep posting the motor information.

Is it wired for 115V or 230V power?

These are one option to search for:
    B2981 is a 2-speed for 115V
    B2980 is a 2-speed for 230V
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

I have looked around the pump and do not see much information regarding exact pump. The lid on the basket says American Products co. P/N 393016. It is wired for 230V but can run on 115 as well. Jblizzle the frame is a 48Y and am not sure the ones you recommended (56J) can fit.

11. Back To Top    #11

The pump stand likely has little spacers than can be removed to support the 56Y. There may be other options that are 48Y I did not spend much time looking. Confirm you have the spacers before you buy anything.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

SQL1072R is a 48Y 115V
    SQS1072R is a 48Y 230V
    Jason, TFP Moderator