Z5 questions

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
I have done several searches and couldn't find the answers.

Are we supposed to take the foam off the rollers? The floats on top do we adjust them in any way? I set the handle to the 1-4 position and flip them every other run right?

Thnx,

Chris

foam off the rollers?

There's two sections of the rollers which have a "magic eraser" feel to them. They are supposed to stay. any other foam, you might post a pic...

There's documentation with the Z5 regarding the floats and the arm adjustments. Floats adjust how much the robot turns. Arm adjusts the angle of attack it takes on your tiles. I run it with a slight cant to the right so when it hits the tiles it scrubs more than just 4 tiles...mess with them and see what works for you/your pool.

Here's a pic of the robot in action. you see the two white sections that feel like magic eraser.
0538FBD9-5190-4D68-832A-6AE4CDC2A2B0_zpsse9nlujh.jpg

Thanks yes, that is the foam I was talking about.

I opened yesterday and the water temp is 50. My pool guy said it was fine to use now so I threw it in today. I don't know if it is water temp or what but it can't climb parts of my hopper in the deep end and it ignores the shallow end. I guess it is a learning curve.

Thanks yes, that is the foam I was talking about.

I opened yesterday and the water temp is 50. My pool guy said it was fine to use now so I threw it in today. I don't know if it is water temp or what but it can't climb parts of my hopper in the deep end and it ignores the shallow end. I guess it is a learning curve.

That does not sound good. It sounds like the vinyl is too slippery and steep for him to gain traction. If you haven't moved them outward, make sure the floats stay all the way inward on the handle. I'm not sure that situation will improve much.

I tried them both ways.

My hopper is steep and the corners have a small lip. He can't get past the lip at all in the corners and about 75% of the time he doesn't make the water line on the sides. I am thinking the water temp might play a part in all of this as well. I tried to use my pool Blaster today and it just wasn't liking the cold temps.

FWIW, the design of the robot is that he only goes to the waterline every 4th upward travel. (I believe it's every 4th...It's in the documentation with the robot.)

pic of this lip you speak of? I don't know much about vinyl pools, so...what's a hopper?

my Z5 doesn't care about water temp. I ran him all winter (I don't "close" my pool).

Say, I've come up with a question. How long was your pool filled prior to putting the robot in? And did he climb ok up the slope until he reached the lip?

Sorry, that's two Qs :oops:

I just got the robot this week, I opened my pool on Monday and he took his first dip on Tuesday. The water temp was 50. The lip is just a small thing in each corner if the deep end. The hopper itself is steep and it kinda caps the slop then the side goes vertical. I will try to get pics. It is pouring here and the solar cover is on. Yes, he gets to the lips and just sits there. I am okay if that part is the only thing he doesn't get. It is a weird thing to expect him to get.

I am playing with the handle to see where it will work best. I have never owned a robot before and so far I am more than thrilled with how well it does. The only disappointment so far is it ignores the shallow end. After running it four times I still had to manually vacuum the shallow end. I drop it in the shallow end and it heads right to the deep end and if I use the remote to get it back to the shallow end it turns around and runs back towards deeper water.

I searched here, online, and maytronics site and am piecing together how to use this thing properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My M5 kind of ignored the shallow end at first, but now he figured out it was there. I've alos noticed that he gets up on the swim out seat now, which he never did before. So, imguess it takes a while for it to learn your pool.

Ok, it was a long shot but I was curious if you'd had time to start growing things and that was making things a little more slippery. Keep us posted please.

I am pretty sure everything is good. My opening numbers were

FC 2
CC 0
PH 7.5
CYA 40
TA 80

I brought chlorine up to 7 at 2 pm Monday and it has held chlorine. My pump broke Tuesday night and they are coming to fix it today but Tuesday night chlorine was at 6.

This thing has a learning curve and I feel more comfortable playing with it and figuring it out. Heck I am having a blast with my new toy:)

I figured it out!

My hopper has a lip all the way around it, not just the corners! All the times I have manually cleaned this pool and I never noticed. When Nemo is climbing up from the bottom of the pool the hopper is steep and he hits the lip and cannot make the final decent to the water line. I stood there and studied him for a long time today.

I don't think there is anything that can be done about it. It is the design of my pool.

Sorry to hear that confirmed. I doubt there is any chance the lip will hold him in the shallow side?

No he still isn't hitting the shallow side much yet but time will tell.

I am still really happy with this thing though. The lip is just enough to hold him up. It really does a great job and truthfully I don't mind brushing the pool. I had him going yesterday and was brushing right along with him. I find it therapeutic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.