Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z5 questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Z5 questions

I have done several searches and couldn't find the answers.

Are we supposed to take the foam off the rollers? The floats on top do we adjust them in any way? I set the handle to the 1-4 position and flip them every other run right?

Thnx,

Chris
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Z5 questions

foam off the rollers?

There's two sections of the rollers which have a "magic eraser" feel to them. They are supposed to stay. any other foam, you might post a pic...

There's documentation with the Z5 regarding the floats and the arm adjustments. Floats adjust how much the robot turns. Arm adjusts the angle of attack it takes on your tiles. I run it with a slight cant to the right so when it hits the tiles it scrubs more than just 4 tiles...mess with them and see what works for you/your pool.

Here's a pic of the robot in action. you see the two white sections that feel like magic eraser.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks yes, that is the foam I was talking about.

I opened yesterday and the water temp is 50. My pool guy said it was fine to use now so I threw it in today. I don't know if it is water temp or what but it can't climb parts of my hopper in the deep end and it ignores the shallow end. I guess it is a learning curve.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissykr View Post
    Thanks yes, that is the foam I was talking about.

I opened yesterday and the water temp is 50. My pool guy said it was fine to use now so I threw it in today. I don't know if it is water temp or what but it can't climb parts of my hopper in the deep end and it ignores the shallow end. I guess it is a learning curve.
    That does not sound good. It sounds like the vinyl is too slippery and steep for him to gain traction. If you haven't moved them outward, make sure the floats stay all the way inward on the handle. I'm not sure that situation will improve much.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

I tried them both ways.

My hopper is steep and the corners have a small lip. He can't get past the lip at all in the corners and about 75% of the time he doesn't make the water line on the sides. I am thinking the water temp might play a part in all of this as well. I tried to use my pool Blaster today and it just wasn't liking the cold temps.

6. Back To Top    #6

Say, I've come up with a question. How long was your pool filled prior to putting the robot in? And did he climb ok up the slope until he reached the lip?

Sorry, that's two Qs
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

FWIW, the design of the robot is that he only goes to the waterline every 4th upward travel. (I believe it's every 4th...It's in the documentation with the robot.)

pic of this lip you speak of? I don't know much about vinyl pools, so...what's a hopper?

my Z5 doesn't care about water temp. I ran him all winter (I don't "close" my pool).
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Say, I've come up with a question. How long was your pool filled prior to putting the robot in? And did he climb ok up the slope until he reached the lip?

Sorry, that's two Qs

I just got the robot this week, I opened my pool on Monday and he took his first dip on Tuesday. The water temp was 50. The lip is just a small thing in each corner if the deep end. The hopper itself is steep and it kinda caps the slop then the side goes vertical. I will try to get pics. It is pouring here and the solar cover is on. Yes, he gets to the lips and just sits there. I am okay if that part is the only thing he doesn't get. It is a weird thing to expect him to get.

I am playing with the handle to see where it will work best. I have never owned a robot before and so far I am more than thrilled with how well it does. The only disappointment so far is it ignores the shallow end. After running it four times I still had to manually vacuum the shallow end. I drop it in the shallow end and it heads right to the deep end and if I use the remote to get it back to the shallow end it turns around and runs back towards deeper water.

I searched here, online, and maytronics site and am piecing together how to use this thing properly.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Make sure it turns 90 degrees when it rotates itself...like when you first turn it on.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, it was a long shot but I was curious if you'd had time to start growing things and that was making things a little more slippery. Keep us posted please.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

My M5 kind of ignored the shallow end at first, but now he figured out it was there. I've alos noticed that he gets up on the swim out seat now, which he never did before. So, imguess it takes a while for it to learn your pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, it was a long shot but I was curious if you'd had time to start growing things and that was making things a little more slippery. Keep us posted please.
    I am pretty sure everything is good. My opening numbers were

FC 2
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    CYA 40
    TA 80

I brought chlorine up to 7 at 2 pm Monday and it has held chlorine. My pump broke Tuesday night and they are coming to fix it today but Tuesday night chlorine was at 6.

This thing has a learning curve and I feel more comfortable playing with it and figuring it out. Heck I am having a blast with my new toy

13. Back To Top    #13

although not a Z5, my Dolpin took a few times to learn how my pool is. After that, it just got good!

I say run it a time or 2 every day for a while and see if it gets better.

They sure are fun to watch aren't they?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    although not a Z5, my Dolpin took a few times to learn how my pool is. After that, it just got good!

I say run it a time or 2 every day for a while and see if it gets better.

They sure are fun to watch aren't they?
    I will, thnx

Yes, my hubby and kids can't understand my fascination with it

15. Back To Top    #15

Have no worries about that. A lot of us find them entertaining, fascinating in fact.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

We're an easily entertained bunch!

Have no worries about that. A lot of us find them entertaining, fascinating in fact.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

17. Back To Top    #17

I figured it out!

My hopper has a lip all the way around it, not just the corners! All the times I have manually cleaned this pool and I never noticed. When Nemo is climbing up from the bottom of the pool the hopper is steep and he hits the lip and cannot make the final decent to the water line. I stood there and studied him for a long time today.

I don't think there is anything that can be done about it. It is the design of my pool.

18. Back To Top    #18

Sorry to hear that confirmed. I doubt there is any chance the lip will hold him in the shallow side?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

19. Back To Top    #19

Sorry to hear that confirmed. I doubt there is any chance the lip will hold him in the shallow side?
    No he still isn't hitting the shallow side much yet but time will tell.

I am still really happy with this thing though. The lip is just enough to hold him up. It really does a great job and truthfully I don't mind brushing the pool. I had him going yesterday and was brushing right along with him. I find it therapeutic.

20. Back To Top    #20

What I mean is, have you tried starting him in the shallow and seeing if the lip keeps him from going in to the deep.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast