Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Startup? What Startup? NO STARTUP after BBB!!!!!!!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Startup? What Startup? NO STARTUP after BBB!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys! Long time no see!

Last year I joined to get answers and help with my large in ground pool. I had let it go over the winter and it was a total mess come spring last year. I wasted tons of money getting pool stored until I found this place and switched to BBB. Long story short, My CYA was sky high due to trichlor and I had to drain the pool and start over.

Fast forward a year. I didn't shut the pool down over the winter. We have mild winters here in South GA and I don't have any trees hanging over so there's little debris getting in the pool. I kept VERY LITTLE chlorine in the pool over the winter. Literally prolly NONE for most the winter but due to water temp, it wasn't an issue. I did let it run about 6 hours everyday. This year my startup consists of me SLAMMING with bleach and testing the water. I have only vacuumed to waste once and if my water temp was up the pool would be ready to go. I cannot describe how much easier it has been and more affordable to use the BBB method and run the pool year round instead of closing it which does increase my light bill but it's worth it. I do not have any current pictures but the pool looks just as good as any i've ever taken. So this is basically what my pool looks like today and has ALL WINTER...

The ONLY thing that needs to be done to use this baby is the water temp to rise about 20 degrees!

16'X32'X8' Vinyl Pond with Diving Board (Neck Breaker), 1.5 hp FOXX WhisperFlo(Not so quite anymore), Massive Lawn Egg (aka: Sand Filter), Coolcrete Pool deck (Burns feet to a crisp), Large wooden Multi level deck (Splinter City) with fire pit in center (Insurance company's nightmare.)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Startup? What Startup? NO STARTUP after BBB!!!!!!!!!!

So.... overall.... do you think the test kit was a good investment?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Beautiful! You have learned well!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ohhhh Yes! I had spent that much nearly 10x over trying to get it right. Without the CYA I was throwing darts in the dark. Very pleased with the Kit and the method. Honestly I usually use Muriatic Acid to control PH and Bleach to add Chlorine. Thats the two things I use anymore. Sooo simple. I just need to find a way to get Bleach in a 55 gallon drum. lol Any ideas?
    16'X32'X8' Vinyl Pond with Diving Board (Neck Breaker), 1.5 hp FOXX WhisperFlo(Not so quite anymore), Massive Lawn Egg (aka: Sand Filter), Coolcrete Pool deck (Burns feet to a crisp), Large wooden Multi level deck (Splinter City) with fire pit in center (Insurance company's nightmare.)

5. Back To Top    #5

Funny. I was born and raised in Georgia, but lived in a lot of places since (now live in Texas). In Georgia, anything that uses electricity is called a "Light Bill" even if its a pool pump or refrig, or air conditioner, that's all part of the "Light Bill".
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL Thats what we call it in East Texas too!
    My light bill is too high!

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    Funny. I was born and raised in Georgia, but lived in a lot of places since (now live in Texas). In Georgia, anything that uses electricity is called a "Light Bill" even if its a pool pump or refrig, or air conditioner, that's all part of the "Light Bill".
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

I love it!!!

Another TFP Success story. Great stuff, and congrats on whipping it into the way YOU control it. Awesome.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by edge View Post
    Ohhhh Yes! I had spent that much nearly 10x over trying to get it right. Without the CYA I was throwing darts in the dark. Very pleased with the Kit and the method. Honestly I usually use Muriatic Acid to control PH and Bleach to add Chlorine. Thats the two things I use anymore. Sooo simple. I just need to find a way to get Bleach in a 55 gallon drum. lol Any ideas?
    Look for a chemical supplier in the area. You may be able to get a drum. We get 300 gallon totes at work to use on the cooling towers when the chlorine plant is down.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100