Pump run time recommendation

prasadkm0204

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2015
Santa Clara,CA
So I read - http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time.
According to this I should run my pump for around 4 hours (single speed pump).
But my pool guy (who I fired) and the store guy mentioned that its better to run it for about 7-8 hours.
Their thumb rule is 1 hour for every 10 degrees of weather.

Right now, it is set to run for 8 hours at night and the weather is around 70.
My chemical levels are (I do not want to replace any more water due to severe drought. I already replaced about 40% to bring the CYA level from 200 to 100).

CYA - Around 100
FC - 8
CH - 625
TA-160
PH-7.5

Do the experts here have any recommendation of how much the pump run time should be for my pool.

Thanks a bunch,
-Prasad

Not an expert but I believe you need to get the TA down. I believe you add muradic acid and then aerate to bring the PH up.

I run my pump 4 hours or so with Texas heat. I have a SWCG so I determine run time on 1) FC and 2) water cleanliness. Since you use bleach (I assume as a SWCG isn't listed) you need 30 min or so for the FC to mix then it's cleanliness I believe.

Shorter pump run times are a fairly new discovery. Everyone though that longer run times were important, but it turns out that everyone was wrong and shorter run times are just fine for a residential pool. Commercial pools are a whole different story. It turns out that the main function of the pump is to clean up surface debris, and it can do that rather quickly.

Haha. Pool guy got it to 200. Store guy asked me to remove water and around the same time I discovered tfp:)

- - - Updated - - -

So just to remove debris especially in a covered pool, I assume 30 mins to an hour is good. How about when I add acid or chlorine?

I can add MA to adjust PH and brush and run pump for 30 minutes and the ph has settled down. Some chemicals take longer (CYA adjustments can take a week to register). Bleach and muradic acid additions should take 30 minutes.

Baking Soda for TA has taken longer in my pool. And hour or two.

Hi Pras,
pour your bleach slowly in front of a return. Then let it mix for 30 minutes or so.....

Haha. Pool guy got it to 200. Store guy asked me to remove water and around the same time I discovered tfp:)

- - - Updated - - -

So just to remove debris especially in a covered pool, I assume 30 mins to an hour is good. How about when I add acid or chlorine?

Just so I'm clear on this....

The pool guy and the pool store salesman managed to get your CYA up to 200 and you still listen to their advice? :suspect:
Our answer is in that article.

The OP is trying to learn, and asking here to figure this out. He only referenced what was said before.

Prasad, it's more likely that a few hours a day will be about right in the end. You can work it down from the 7-8 hours suggested until you find a point where you have too little run time set. If you find that a few hours aren't enough at some point you'll noice you need more circulation time. You can always add a little time if you see it isn't enough.

The OP is trying to learn, and asking here to figure this out. He only referenced what was said before.

Prasad, it's more likely that a few hours a day will be about right in the end. You can work it down from the 7-8 hours suggested until you find a point where you have too little run time set. If you find that a few hours aren't enough at some point you'll noice you need more circulation time. You can always add a little time if you see it isn't enough.

What should someone look for "where you have too little run time set". Is it cloudiness, debris on the surface, debris on the bottom, particles seen in the light at night? What characterizes enough filter time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everything you said except cloudiness. Cloudiness is chemistry, debris is filter time. Debris will usually ramp up in spring and fall and down in summer and winter.

Nice! Should work great with the cover. And once spring passes it should be even better. Busy season for filtering is spring and fall, summer and winter are usually pretty low key.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.