Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump run time recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump run time recommendation

So I read - http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time.
    According to this I should run my pump for around 4 hours (single speed pump).
    But my pool guy (who I fired) and the store guy mentioned that its better to run it for about 7-8 hours.
    Their thumb rule is 1 hour for every 10 degrees of weather.

Right now, it is set to run for 8 hours at night and the weather is around 70.
    My chemical levels are (I do not want to replace any more water due to severe drought. I already replaced about 40% to bring the CYA level from 200 to 100).

CYA - Around 100
    FC - 8
    CH - 625
    TA-160
    PH-7.5

Do the experts here have any recommendation of how much the pump run time should be for my pool.

Thanks a bunch,
    -Prasad
    30,000 gal,20'x40' IG (3-8.5 with diving board) ,Plaster,Pentair S8D110, Type of filer - DE,TF-100 test kit
    Poolsafe Automatic pool cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump run time recommendation

Not an expert but I believe you need to get the TA down. I believe you add muradic acid and then aerate to bring the PH up.

I run my pump 4 hours or so with Texas heat. I have a SWCG so I determine run time on 1) FC and 2) water cleanliness. Since you use bleach (I assume as a SWCG isn't listed) you need 30 min or so for the FC to mix then it's cleanliness I believe.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

3. Back To Top    #3

Just so I'm clear on this....

The pool guy and the pool store salesman managed to get your CYA up to 200 and you still listen to their advice?

Our answer is in that article.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Shorter pump run times are a fairly new discovery. Everyone though that longer run times were important, but it turns out that everyone was wrong and shorter run times are just fine for a residential pool. Commercial pools are a whole different story. It turns out that the main function of the pump is to clean up surface debris, and it can do that rather quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Haha. Pool guy got it to 200. Store guy asked me to remove water and around the same time I discovered tfp

- - - Updated - - -

So just to remove debris especially in a covered pool, I assume 30 mins to an hour is good. How about when I add acid or chlorine?

6. Back To Top    #6

I can add MA to adjust PH and brush and run pump for 30 minutes and the ph has settled down. Some chemicals take longer (CYA adjustments can take a week to register). Bleach and muradic acid additions should take 30 minutes.

Baking Soda for TA has taken longer in my pool. And hour or two.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Pras,
    pour your bleach slowly in front of a return. Then let it mix for 30 minutes or so.....

Quote Originally Posted by prasadkm0204 View Post
    Haha. Pool guy got it to 200. Store guy asked me to remove water and around the same time I discovered tfp

- - - Updated - - -

So just to remove debris especially in a covered pool, I assume 30 mins to an hour is good. How about when I add acid or chlorine?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

sorry, sorta hijacked ya.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Just so I'm clear on this....

The pool guy and the pool store salesman managed to get your CYA up to 200 and you still listen to their advice?
    Our answer is in that article.
    The OP is trying to learn, and asking here to figure this out. He only referenced what was said before.

Prasad, it's more likely that a few hours a day will be about right in the end. You can work it down from the 7-8 hours suggested until you find a point where you have too little run time set. If you find that a few hours aren't enough at some point you'll noice you need more circulation time. You can always add a little time if you see it isn't enough.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    The OP is trying to learn, and asking here to figure this out. He only referenced what was said before.

Prasad, it's more likely that a few hours a day will be about right in the end. You can work it down from the 7-8 hours suggested until you find a point where you have too little run time set. If you find that a few hours aren't enough at some point you'll noice you need more circulation time. You can always add a little time if you see it isn't enough.
    What should someone look for "where you have too little run time set". Is it cloudiness, debris on the surface, debris on the bottom, particles seen in the light at night? What characterizes enough filter time?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

11. Back To Top    #11

Everything you said except cloudiness. Cloudiness is chemistry, debris is filter time. Debris will usually ramp up in spring and fall and down in summer and winter.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

I reduced the pump run time from 8 hours (at night) to 4 hours (day time, so I can increase as required while its running).
    I'll observe and see how this goes.
    30,000 gal,20'x40' IG (3-8.5 with diving board) ,Plaster,Pentair S8D110, Type of filer - DE,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, you'll be able to tell if you have enough filtering to keep it skimmed and clean. Don't be surprised if 4 hours is plenty.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

14. Back To Top    #14

4 hours of run time so far seems good so far.
    I reduced it to 1 hour over the weekend to see how it goes.

Given that I have a pool cover there is hardly any debris.
    I'll observe how this goes.

15. Back To Top    #15

Nice! Should work great with the cover. And once spring passes it should be even better. Busy season for filtering is spring and fall, summer and winter are usually pretty low key.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach