New Owner/Builder Pool in Las Vegas

I agree QingGuy, it has been a cooler year. Along with that darn wind blowing ALL the time. I’m pretty sure this is the main culprit with my pools heat loss. At 5 or 10 percent humidity and constant wind, evaporation zaps the heat right out of the pool.

If you’re looking to warm up your pool water and carry-over some of that warmth to the next day, break out your solar cover. It really helps preserve a lot of the night time heat loss and the evaporation process, too.

When I used ours last year I turned the skimmer valve so most of the suction was drawn to the bottom when the cover was on. This helped eliminate the cold spot that develops in the deeper water. If I didn’t put it back on in the evening, all the heat would be gone the next morning.

Give it a try. I’m sure it will help.

Your pool and view is breathtaking! I am also jealous of your pool temps. I have been running my waterfalls at night trying to cool it down - and it floats between 86-89 depending on the time of day.

If you’re looking to warm up your pool water and carry-over some of that warmth to the next day, break out your solar cover. It really helps preserve a lot of the night time heat loss and the evaporation process, too.

Give it a try. I’m sure it will help.
Yea haven't broken out the cover just yet, as soon as the newness of looking out the windows and admiring the view we'll probably throw the cover on. It's still in a box in the garage.

Your pool and view is breathtaking! I am also jealous of your pool temps. I have been running my waterfalls at night trying to cool it down - and it floats between 86-89 depending on the time of day.
High at my place yesterday was 107, pool got to a high of 82, makes no sense. 84 is the perfect temp for us.

If you're ever on my side of the valley and want to look at it first hand feel free to come by, kick your shoes off and take it for a spin to see if it's for you. Love to show off our build to you.

Thanks!! Will keep that in mind...which part of town are you in? I'm almost to Boulder City!

Love your view from inside, placement and features look great from inside and out!

Oh...the wind recently is stealing our warm water also, I left the solar blanket off for 3 days and lost 8 degrees.

Thought I'd revisit this thread, wow what a ride! Actually had to refresh my memory about a couple of things to answer some questions for people. Just over the past week I've had 4 people reach out to me regarding O/B in Vegas and two people come see my pool in the last three days. Definitely seems to be the time for people in Vegas to start thinking about pool!

Pools looking great, haven't had one issue with water thanks to TFP method, piece and we're so ready to start swimming!

Solar going in over the next two weeks and I'll post details on that here as well.

Looks great! I know that in an earlier post you mentioned the planters were built too bit but I think they look great and imo it worked out for the better. With any construction there are peaks and valleys so now it's time to just enjoy! :) Having your kids and grandson with you make it all worth it. I kid around with my wife that the dads do the work/aggravating stuff while the family enjoys it when that's done. That's ok by me since if they are happy so am I.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great! I know that in an earlier post you mentioned the planters were built too bit but I think they look great and imo it worked out for the better.
Actually you're right, I can't tell you how many complements we've received on them once the pool was finished. Made the mistake of topping the soil with landscape bark. All the landscape bark ended-up in my pool and on the decking. Going to put a different color decorative rock in them we think.

Qing I am SO glad you were able and willing to help them out! I was hoping you would!

Had you forgotten some of it? It was quite a ride!
Believe it or not yes, I'd forgotten some of the decisions we needed to make, why we made them etc. I still neet to write my postmortem on things I might do differently if I did another O/B. The list is actually pretty short. My biggest regret is not going deeper, teenage son, friends and nephews love to climb on the planter and dive/jump into the pool no matter how many times I tell them not to. I went 7 and wish I would have gone at least 8+ due to the planter being used as a diving platform.

I've probably helped or at least been in contact with at least 20 local O/B.

Hi....Would you mind giving me the name of your pool designer? Your pool looks just awesome! We are moving forward with our owner/build of a pool/spa in our backyard and it seems to be difficult to find one here in Las Vegas. I would really appreciate it!

Sending you a PM.

Thanks for your help when I started! The list of subs was very helpful to get started ... I really do appreciate it..

BTW the pool tile guy was great! IN fact, everyone I used off your list was excellent.. especially the gunite guy, who is someone I hang out with at the lake now too.. lol

This was my second pool build I did myself, and this went a lot smoother because of my previous experience... knowing the pitfalls and also knowing what little extras really cost zero money, if you catch the subs at the right time... I'd be happy to assist anyone as well..

Looking to start my own project in Las Vegas shortly. Would you mind shooting over a list of contractors? Really appreciate the time everyone spends sharing their projects and experiences. I hope i can do the same. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.