New Owner/Builder Pool in Las Vegas

I know I said I'd reserve my "I wish I had's" until we had one season under our belt but here's an observation; we decided to go with the lighter Quartzscape due to many people telling us darker colors would turn our water into bath water. Well, we've had one spike where water temp hit 88 for about a day, maybe two. A couple of days of 84, other than that I've been hovering between 80 - 82. Don't get me wrong we like our color, however, we liked Tahoe Blue more and I'm wondering how much it would have increased the water temp by? It's only half way through the pool season so far so we'll see how things go the rest of the season.

Reactions: bonanza
A surprisingly comfortable low 100's (high, and remember that comes with single digit humidity for the most part). During most summers it's not uncommon to see 100 at 10:00 p.m. during the evening news and lows in the mid to upper 80s.

My wife thinks the pool temps are due to the unseasonable "cool" weather we've been having.

Also our pool is in full sun all day so this was another reason we went with a lighter color.

My high water temp today was 81.

This made me feel pretty good about my owner/builder project. Had a pool builder come by today and he said my pool/setup was very nice, he liked it, said he would have charged me about 80K for it and all the decking. Smiled and told him I didn't pay close to that :D Owner Builder worked for us, sure we had ups and downs but we saved a lot of money.

BTW water temp is up to 83!

Very nice compliment from the pool builder.

Good to know about the color vs. temp situation. My pool is half that size and in sun till about 6pm, it's white plaster and with a solar cover we get about 86 right now. We do seem to have a wind tunnel in my yard that steals some of the heat from our water. I'm going to have to consider colored options when we re-plaster.

I'm also reconsidering a spray deck from your comments in the deck thread...thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This made me feel pretty good about my owner/builder project. Had a pool builder come by today and he said my pool/setup was very nice, he liked it, said he would have charged me about 80K for it and all the decking. Smiled and told him I didn't pay close to that :D Owner Builder worked for us, sure we had ups and downs but we saved a lot of money.

BTW water temp is up to 83!

Oh how proud you must be feeling right now! That is neat!

Kim

QingGuy, I think your pool is absolutely beautiful! You've done an incredible job. The setting is amazing and lucky you, to have your neighbor's landscaping as a backdrop. A pool remodeler told me yesterday that a darker plaster color for us might be 3-5 degrees warmer at best. But that being said, it's so odd to me that your water temperature isn't warmer! Vegas is SO hot. We are in Atlanta, our pool only gets full sun about half the day, and we've been averaging 84-85 degrees. It's been very hot and humid as usual, but not "Vegas" hot. Could your water features be cooling your pool more than expected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QingGuy, I think your pool is absolutely beautiful! You've done an incredible job. The setting is amazing and lucky you, to have your neighbor's landscaping as a backdrop. A pool remodeler told me yesterday that a darker plaster color for us might be 3-5 degrees warmer at best. But that being said, it's so odd to me that your water temperature isn't warmer! Vegas is SO hot. We are in Atlanta, our pool only gets full sun about half the day, and we've been averaging 84-85 degrees. It's been very hot and humid as usual, but not "Vegas" hot. Could your water features be cooling your pool more than expected?
I think it's that we haven't experienced the extreme heat that we typically do and our evenings have been cooling down to low 80's even 70's so a lot of the heat is escaping. Seems like typically it's more like high 80's at night.

Water did get up to a high of 84 Friday before a big storm rolled through yesterday, I'm sitting at a chilly 77 right now. I have a solar cover but haven't wanted to open it just yet because we're enjoying viewing the pool, I'm sure once the newness has warn off I'll throw the cover on and it will maintain more heat.

This is so exciting!!!! You're right about the pool looking small! But all it takes is a quick look at your specs in your signature to know otherwise. I think when the pool clears up and that water starts sparkling and dazzling, it will look bigger. When it does, take a few shots from inside, so we can see it the way you guys get to see it.
Here's a shot from our kitchen and breakfast nook. Similar views from game room, living room and master bedroom except through solar screens which dim things a bit, intentionally didn't put solar screens on these three windows.
DSC_0436_zpseqsmmhy4-1.jpg

I love seeing the view from your kitchen and breakfast nook!!! You have such an amazing pool and space surrounding the pool. If having a lighter pool finish makes that much of a difference, then I wish I had gone lighter.

We have Blue Granite, a Pebble Sheen. And when the sun is shining on the pool with parts in the shade, I can feel the difference with my feet. It's much warmer on the finish where it's in the sun than in the shade. Our days have been in the low 100's recently with humidity around 48% which is low for us. My pool temps are right about 87-89 degrees in the morning and 91-92 degrees in the afternoon. Our pool is mostly shaded before noon and after 4:30 with sun beating down on it from noon to 4:30 which doesn't seem like much at all. I'm really disappointed my pool isn't cooler especially compared to you in Vegas. Maybe humidity doesn't allow for the heat to escape. Or.... I should have chosen a much lighter pool finish!!!

Congrats on your oasis!!! And Owner Built! Amazing!
Suz.

Thanks guys!

I love seeing the view from your kitchen and breakfast nook!!! You have such an amazing pool and space surrounding the pool. If having a lighter pool finish makes that much of a difference, then I wish I had gone lighter.

We have Blue Granite, a Pebble Sheen. And when the sun is shining on the pool with parts in the shade, I can feel the difference with my feet. It's much warmer on the finish where it's in the sun than in the shade. Our days have been in the low 100's recently with humidity around 48% which is low for us. My pool temps are right about 87-89 degrees in the morning and 91-92 degrees in the afternoon. Our pool is mostly shaded before noon and after 4:30 with sun beating down on it from noon to 4:30 which doesn't seem like much at all. I'm really disappointed my pool isn't cooler especially compared to you in Vegas. Maybe humidity doesn't allow for the heat to escape. Or.... I should have chosen a much lighter pool finish!!!

Congrats on your oasis!!! And Owner Built! Amazing!
Suz.
Honestly I'm baffled by how cool our water is. Today the high was 106 at my house and the warmest the pool got was 83, morning temp was 77. My pool gets full sun pretty much all day, I'd say from 10:00 a.m. to just before sunset.

Low tonight will be 81, tomorrow 108/83 and Wed 108/83. Humidity in the low teens, we'll see how she does in these temps.

EDIT: Thought I'd add I've calibrated my pool therm. using an instant read therm that I use for bbq and it's dead on, check it several times a year.

It really doesn't make sense to me either. My car said it was 103 degrees here today (I'm guessing probably closer to 100), and our water this evening was 86, so probably was hotter during the day. Our temps drop at night too. Can humidity, or lack of, have a bearing on temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.