Heater installl

pharpe

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
I posted a request for plumber reconditions in the other forum but I wanted to get input here as well so I'm armed with a little knowledge before I talk to them. I am looking to add a heater and have questions on the gas service. The pad is already plumbed with a gas line from a previous heater that was removed before we moved in. I have a 1" line coming out of the meter and 3/4" coming up at the pad. It's obviously necked down at some point underground. The total run is about 60 feet.

I had the gas company install a new meter that is good over to 1M BTU so I'm good there. Ideally I'd like to go with a 400k BTU heater but I know my current setup wont support that. I had a pool builder out and he said that a 333k should be ok. He had no way to say for sure though. The gas company guy was also not very definitive on if it would work.

Is there anyway to test the flow to know for sure? Can a plumber do that? I don't want to have this heater put in just to find out I need to spend another 1-2k on a new gas line. I also don't want a situation where the thing works, but is under feed, and decrease it's life or efficiency. I've seen talk about increasing to a 2# system but I don't really know what that entails cost wise.

Advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just had the utility and plumber out. I have a low pressure setup currently. The 1" pipe going to the pad is about 95' and not adequate. I will need to upgrade the line or switch over to a medium or high pressure system and install regulators. I'm getting a quote on both options.

Another way to go is a heat pump. I'm not sure if its a good fit or not. I want to keep my pool at a constant 82 from May to Sept. Average air temps for my area are

Hi Lo
84 65 May
92 73 June
96 77 July
96 77 August
89 69 September

That part seems like a good fit from what I've read. My main concern is that the heat pump would be in 100% shade at all times. I've read that they should be in as much sun as possible. How important is that?

My pool is very shaded and did not get into the 80's until August last year. I am not interested in a solar blanket. My wife is at home during the week with 2 small children. She wants to be able to just walk out to the pool and get in without dealing with a cover.

Quote to upgrade to high pressure is about $2,000.

L8--pressure regulators---$649 each=$1298
L5--gas test--$359
L4-City permit and setup--$267.00

They said I could go up to a 200k btu unit with my current pipe. It's not what I wanted but I may just go that route.

I bet you would be OK with a 250 K unit. it would just take a bit longer to heat but still cheaper than adding the extra $2K for the line upgrade. Raypak makes a 266K unit and that would be good as well on your setup. The Raypak's are very forgiving on input pressure so I don't see the issue with your line setup you have now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.