Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt pellets or granulated?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt pellets or granulated?

I got a print out from the PB stating the following:

" There are many different types of salt on the market. We prefer to use salt pellets, they can be added directly to the pool water and will dissolve in a few hours. We don't recommend using granulated salt. That type of salt contains an anti-caking agent that tends to stain the pool surface."

Any thoughts? I will be first time salt buyer and want to make sure I get the right one.
    12K gallons, IG, Durazzo, Pentair cartridge filter, Jandy ePump JEP2.0 VSP , Pool started March 2, 2015, South FL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt pellets or granulated?

Never heard that before. I always use Solar Salt. If the pellets are very pure (no additives) they are fine too, just take a little longer to dissolve. At least they do not appear to be trying to sell you the overpriced pool salt.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

He may mean types of softener salt.

Blizzle has it right, the best buy is solar salt. It's high purity rock salt and it's perfect to put in pools.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Table salt has an anti-caking agent that contains iron, and thus can cause stains. It is, however, quite rare to see table salt sold in 40+ lb bags, so it doesn't normally come up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info. Where your guys are getting the Solar salt from?
    12K gallons, IG, Durazzo, Pentair cartridge filter, Jandy ePump JEP2.0 VSP , Pool started March 2, 2015, South FL

6. Back To Top    #6

Hardware store. Lowe's or home depot
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Solar salt is usually sold for water softeners. Sometimes it is in the water softener aisle, sometimes they are in the outside area.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Great, thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    Great, thanks
    The blue bag is usually the cheapest and works fine. Although I haven't seen them lately. Publix was also cheaper than lowes on the last bags I bought. It should be diamond crystal in a blue bag, usually a dollar cheaper or so than the other bags.

Oh and if you buying a lot of it, Lowes does have a 10% off coupon and home depot will take that coupon as well. You can also get discounted gift cards online for home depot and end up saving approximately 20%.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

OK guys, not to hijack this thread but I'm lost here. Why are you adding the Solar salt to the pool water ??
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

11. Back To Top    #11

Donny, gonzo has a SWG, which requires a certain amount of salt in the water to work correctly.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Jason. I'm in the middle of switching to a SWG. Thx again.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

13. Back To Top    #13

I bought 7 bags at Home Dept today.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diamond-C...2454/100172669

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    Thanks for the info. Where your guys are getting the Solar salt from?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

I found this one at Home Depot instead, I hope is ok to use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diamond-C...2439/100119995

15. Back To Top    #15

Diamond Crystal Sun Gems are fine, Diamond Crystal Solar Naturals are also fine.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thank Jason

17. Back To Top    #17

Do note the two different sizes. The guy down the street sells 40's for the same price that HD sells the 50's.

And that product looks OK as long as it has no additives. Salt is salt as long as all you are buying is salt and impurities that aren't harmful, thus the closer to 100% salt the better.

BTW, as a first time salt buyer, if you are getting a SWG, shut the unit off when you add the salt until it's fully dissolved, and remember, once it's in if you have too much you have to dilute it out. So don't over salt your pool accidentally! Been there, done that.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

18. Back To Top    #18

Will do. Thanks for the advice

19. Back To Top    #19

I have used solar salt, but most times it leaves a bunch of small little black spot
    stuff/residue where it was dumped.
    my local pool shop has some pool salt listed as food quality for $4 more than solar. I now use it
    since there is no residue left over. last year they ran out.
    is there a solar salt that does not leave the residue I mentioned? I did get mine at lowes.

PS my SWG runs salt between 2100 and 3400 ppm. so be sure to use what yours recommends.
    18X36 Grecian 24400 est., pacfab sand Triton II, 1.5hp AOSmith, clormatic 2

20. Back To Top    #20

Solar salt is not 100% consistent. The great majority of the time there is no residue. Look for the salt with the highest percentage pure salt, typically 99.6%, or better, pure salt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast