Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Potency

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Potency

How long does it take liquid chlorine to degrade in strength? I bought some from my local Ace Hardware store and when I poured it in my pool is was clear not yellow like previous chlorine I have bought. Three hours after I added it I checked my chlorine and it did not change. My math indicated that it should have moved 3 PPM. There is no a doubt in my mind that the chlorine that I bought is the remnants from the end of last season could it have degraded to zero strength?
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Potency

HERE is a link that has previously been posted by Chem Geek about the rate of degradation. The rate is a function of strength and temperature.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We live in a small town and we've noticed that the big consumers of bleach appear to be pressure washing companies. With cold temperatures, I'm sure their business is down and the warehoused bleach is probably getting a bit old. It may be a few more weeks before fresh product hits the shelves. YMMV

4. Back To Top    #4

This post should give you a good idea of the degradation rate at various concentrations and temperatures. Note that it depends a lot on the quality of product since small amounts of metal ion contaminants will rapidly increase the degradation rate.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys, I knew someone had calculated this. Looks like I bought 7-1/2 gallons of drinking water! Is there a simple test to confirm this? I would never be able to convince this ACE Hardware of the degradation factor!
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's a post I made on the topic.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...asure-Strength
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.