Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Warranty Shell Game

1. Back To Top    #1

Warranty Shell Game

I was looking at the warranty for our proposed new pool liner and found that one of the exclusionary clauses was "improper chemical utilization." So, I write the manufacturer and ask what proper chemical utilization is and I get a response to ask a pool store. They just "manufacture" the liner, not the vinyl, so they can't tell me anything. Apparently, they don't even know their web site offers pH 7.2-7.6 and TA 80-120. Nothing about sanitizer, etc.

So, anybody with information about how a warranty claim is processed? Who decides? Etc.?

I'm not expecting a warranty claim, but given what I understand, there is no warranty, just a lot of finger pointing.....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Warranty Shell Game

Virtually the only warranty you are going to get for a liner is failed seams.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, that is what they say in their correspondence, but their warranty also specifically mentions exclusions due to "improper chemical usage."

UPDATE - They came back with, "Typically, if your chlorine is maintained below 3ppm and your PH is between 7.2 - 7.6 your liner will wear at a normal rate." That is almost exactly what the installer said.

Less than 3ppm sounds like an invitation to chase algae. I'm thinking more like a target of 4ppm and 30ppm CYA. Would that be enough CYA for my location? I have a Liquidator and the pool guy quickly identified that as the spawn of the devil.... acidic liquid chlorine eats plasticizers..... must use tabs!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the same thing-seams only. Other than that it is no go.

Sad for that amount of money.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    I have a Liquidator and the pool guy quickly identified that as the spawn of the devil.... acidic liquid chlorine eats plasticizers..... must use tabs!
    Well the pool guy does not know what he is talking about. The trichlor tablets are acidic ... liquid chlorine is actually basic.

Sounds like the liner manufacturer is like most of the pool industry with no understanding of the CYA/FC relationship. Following our methods you are are probably less likely to run into liner problems because you will not be having to "shock" weekly with acidic dichlor and raising your FC too high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Jason is right, but makers of anything pool will not suggest any FC level over 3.0 PPM because it's outside most official guidelines. Which as Jason says do not recognize FC/cya ratios.

The pool guy does need a chemistry lesson. As Jason said, it's opposite of acidic. Sigh...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I thought the big point he was missing was that baking soda is basic and muriatic acid is acidic, yet we still put those in the pool..... in my mind, it is all about the pool chemistry (as a whole), not the additive.... the guy has 45 years experience, but still retains some of that knowledge gained around the PB/PS campfire, kinda like B.C. and company....