Which is best salt test METER?

Mar 23, 2015
Laguna Beach CA
I'd like to ask which salt test meter is considered the best and why? I know that there are a few different brands like the Hayward and LaMotte, etc. But which one is considered the best as far as accuracy, durability, and cost of ownership?

I did a search on salt test meters and when forum users asked about testing meters for salt other testing methods like the Taylor K-1766 test kit and the Aqua Chek test strips are mentioned. But I'm curious on others opinions on meters only. Which METER is best and why?

Hi,
welcome to TFP.

The question is why use a meter anyhow? They are expensive and very prone to inaccuracies, so the answer is actually that none of them are best for use on a pool.

I'd like to ask which salt test meter is considered the best and why? I know that there are a few different brands like the Hayward and LaMotte, etc. But which one is considered the best as far as accuracy, durability, and cost of ownership?

I did a search on salt test meters and when forum users asked about testing meters for salt other testing methods like the Taylor K-1766 test kit and the Aqua Chek test strips are mentioned. But I'm curious on others opinions on meters only. Which METER is best and why?

Sorry, I know nothing about salt meters. Are you servicing pools as your business? I could possibly see a salt meter for that purpose.

As a pool owner it's not something I plan on checking on a regular basis. The salt doesn't get "used up" making chlorine or evaporate. The only way the salinity will come down normally is if you flush out your sand filter with pool water and then add tap back in to refill the pool. I guess a pool leak would reduce salinity but that would be the least of your worries. I plan on checking salt levels about twice a year. For that I compare the strips agains the level shown on the SWG.

http://www.myronl.com/products/ultrapen_pt1.htm

If you want one, this company makes some of the best hand held instrumentation money can buy. If you don't mind spending $160 on a hand held meter, you can't go wrong with one of these. This entire line of "pens" is somewhat new for MyronL, but they are getting rave reviews in the water treatment industry. I've carried a version of the 6P ultrameter for about 14 years, and can't do without one.

Most "salt" measuring instruments are actually TDS meters. Don't actually read the amount of salt, read the amount of TDS. Other chemicals in the pool water also affect the TDS reading, for example CH, TA etc.

Most "salt" measuring instruments are actually TDS meters. Don't actually read the amount of salt, read the amount of TDS. Other chemicals in the pool water also affect the TDS reading, for example CH, TA etc.

This one has a factor it calculates for salinity. Its based on an algorithm and it has one for three measurements. TDS, Conductivity, and Salinity.

It can be done using the differing calculation factors. Pretty common stuff in good meters.

http://www.myronl.com/products/ultrapen_pt1.htm

If you want one, this company makes some of the best hand held instrumentation money can buy. If you don't mind spending $160 on a hand held meter, you can't go wrong with one of these. This entire line of "pens" is somewhat new for MyronL, but they are getting rave reviews in the water treatment industry. I've carried a version of the 6P ultrameter for about 14 years, and can't do without one.

Thanks for the suggestion Patrick.

I agree, a Chloride test is more than adequate.

But no, it isn't just as easy to use a salt test kit.

You take the pen, submerge the end of it in liquid, and push a button for your reading. Its just a question if it's worth the money...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.