Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Advice on Covering my pool for vacation OVER PHOENIX SUMMER

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Advice on Covering my pool for vacation OVER PHOENIX SUMMER

I'm new here (and a fairly new pool owner). We live in Phoenix where the temperatures get 110-120 in the summer. We are leaving for about 2-3 months over the summer and really need advice on how to cover our pool and prevent coming home to a swamp.

I talked to my neighbor today who also leaves for a month or 2 at a time and he said he covers the pool with a tarp after doing a good amount of shock and algeacide.

Help please! Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Orlando, FL

Re: Need Advice on Covering my pool for vacation OVER PHOENIX SUMMER

Welcome to the forum! Someone will be along soon with some advice as I have none
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Need Advice on Covering my pool for vacation OVER PHOENIX SUMMER

I'd use an opaque white or reflective tarp so that the water doesn't get any hotter from having the sun heat the tarp and water. Try and use a tarp material that is more resistant to breakdown from chlorine (if you have a choice).

Even without sun exposure to the water, the higher water temperature will have chlorine break down more quickly (mostly oxidizing the tarp material). It is unlikely for even your SLAM level of chlorine to last more than a few weeks or a month. An algaecide will last longer and we recommend Polyquat 60 algaecide (see this thread for some brands). See this post for recommendations from the manufacturer on how to use Polyquat for closing a pool over the winter, which would also largely apply to what you are doing over the summer.

It's possible that this combination of chlorine and Polyquat may not be enough when the water is warm. Unfortunately, I can't predict that. If you needed additional protection, then you could use a phosphate remover especially if you were going to be turning off your pump and turning off your auto-fill so that there wouldn't be any new water entering into the pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"