Do I need to drain my pool?

Mar 22, 2015
Phoenix AZ
Hi!
I took a sample of water to the local pool store and they said that I need to drain my pool. I have a 11,000 gallon Pebble Tech pool (chlorine).
CH 600
CYA 120
TA 150
PH 8
TDS 5000+ ( they can't read anything higher than 5000)
Thanks for any help!

Hi Nickdee,

Welcome to TFP!

I would like start by saying that its been proven 1000s of times, that pool store testing along with the advice they give varies wildly. I would highly recommend that you get your own reliable test kit, and test the water yourself. There are 2 recommended kits... the TF100 and the Taylor K2006. Both are awesome. The TF100 is be the best bang for the buck. www.tftestkits.net is the only place to the TF100. THe K 2006 can be gotten there too, along with other places online.

Ok, so having said the above.
You might need to replace SOME of your pool water, but only IF the test results by the pool store are anywhere near accurate.

IF, the pool store test is anywhere near accurate... then...

Your CH of 600 is high, but manageable if you know how to manage it to prevent calcium scaling to your Pebble Tech plaster. (you need reliable tests to manage high CH) Replacing some water will lower the CH

Your CYA of 120 is not good. Definitely need to replace some water to get the CYA down. For a Chlorine pool, we recommend this level to be 40-50. With such CYA, its difficult to maintain enough Free Chlorine to fight off an algae bloom. The most common cause of high CYA is the use of Chlorine tablets. For every 10 ppm of FC a 3 inch tablet adds, it also adds 6 ppm of CYA. After a while, this climbing CYA become unmanageable because it doesnt go away. It climbs and climbs and climbs. Same goes for the powder shock products.
They either add lots of Calcium which drives up the CH or they add CYA.

The best source of problem free chlorine is actually bleach, or liquid shock.

Next, your PH at 8 is too high. You should get that down to the mid 7s by using Muriatic Acid.

Your TA is too high at 150, if you notice the Ph going up a lot and always having to add Murictic Acid to get it back down, then this is why.

You did not post what your Free Chlorine value is ???

TDS is irrelevent if you keep your FC to CYA ratio in tact. (given that its at 120, its likely extremely low)

In order to help more, we really wold like to know more about your pool and pumping equipment. Whenever someone else comes along, they will know what you have. Knowing it does make a difference as to the suggestions offered.

If you will fill out your signature, it will help us help you better.
here is a link to info and a link to edit your signature.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

Here are some useful references for your water parameters.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

If you want to know how to efficiently and effectively maintain your pool, the clicking on the Pool School button at the top of the page will get you started. Lots of good info there, but at the very least, get your levels within the recommended ranges as quickly as you can.

TFP also provides a handy tool to know how much of what chemical to add so you can get to the recommendations. Pool Math Rocks!
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Hi Nickdee,

if you dont get some chlorine in there ASAP, you are going to have bad algae problem.
It wont hurt to have a little too much, relative to your CYA.

Here is what I recommend immediately, and somehow, you are going to figure out how to test the water regularly.

Get your PH down to about 7.5 Use Muriatic Acid. According to Pool Math, with 11000 gallons and TA of 150, you need to add 22 ozs of Muriatic Acid

Next, you need to add Bleach - regular old bleach - no scents or additives to prevent splashing - Look on the ingredient label and make sure it says 8.25% Sodium Hypochlorite (which is concentrated). Get the cheapest you can find, its all the same stuff ...
Assuming CYA of about 120, your FC level should be 14. To reach that level, you need to add 232 ozs of 8.25% Bleach. (almost 2 gallons).

First, add the Muriatic Acid, while the pump is running. Pour the acid slowly in front of a return so it gets mixed up well.

Wait 30 minutes

Next, add the Bleach by pouring slowly in front of a return.

I cant stress enough how much you need a test kit so you can regualarly measure and adjust as needed in order to keep your pool in good shape.

Thank you sir for the quick response! I just moved to Arizona and this is my first pool. I realize that I have a lot to learn.
My FAC, TA and Pho are all at 0.

Just an update
I took another sample of water to the pool store (I am ordering a test kit Monday) and here are the new numbers.
FAC 6
TAC 62
CH 500
CYA 100
TA 180
pH 8.0
Acid 2
TDS 3500
Pho 0
I just added a quart of muriatic acid last night after I got my water test back. Also the manager said that there might be a new chemical coming out this month that will lower the CYA.
The first time I went to that pool store the employee told me to drain and acid wash my pool because of the CYA.

Right now I am just working on lowering my pH with muriatic acid. Let me know if you guys have any tips or ideas. Thank you!!

TAC 62?

Work on the pH and keep the FC up until you get your test kit. Their numbers are past suspect looking at the swings in CYA & TDS they are giving you.

To follow our methods TDS are irrevelant, but the results they are giving proves they have no idea what is happening in your pool.

Welcome to the forum Nickdee :wave:

It might be a little much at first but just take it a bit at a time and soon it will all come together. Reading different threads and articles in Pool School will really help.

You'll need a good test kit and you'll need to forget the pool store and just ask away here. We can save you way more than the cost of the kit in the first year if you follow this method instead of the pool store "here, try this". After all it's only water. ;)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the good ole pool store. They love to do "free" pool tests. Too bad they are not very good at them. Is it really free if you have to buy this and that to "fix" your pool?

WELCOME! You will have so much fun learning how to take care of your pool the PROPER way here at TFP!

Let us know as soon as you get our test kit.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.