New Member, New Construction, Foundation Question

Bolt79

Mar 22, 2015
White Springs, FL
Hello everyone,

Just signed onto the forum (been lurking for a while), looking forward to chatting about pool stuff with you guys.

First, some info, I just bought an 18 x 33 Saltwater 8000 from the Pool Factory. My plan was to bury it 2 foot, so that we could build a deck coming off the house to the pool. I will be doing the install myself. I've already owned three above ground pools, two of which, I installed. However, they were both rounds, so installing an oval will be a new experience for me.

So, yesterday, I began digging the hole for the pool, and all was going well until I got down near the two feet mark. At this point, my ground turned to a soft wet, clay sand. I'm worried that this type of soil is not going to work for a pool foundation. Apparently, at two feet, I'm very near the water table at this particular location in my yard. My questions are, has anyone on here had a similar experience, and/or does anyone have any suggestions concerning how to make this location work. We really want to install the pool in this location so we can have the deck coming off the back of the house.

Thanks.

Welcome bolt! Can you get crushed aggregate other wise known as crush, crush n run, crusher or 2A modified in some states? This is your ticket! Dig down 6 or more inches n bring this in and fill and compact it in 3" lifts and you should be good to go.

Welcome bolt! Can you get crushed aggregate other wise known as crush, crush n run, crusher or 2A modified in some states? This is your ticket! Dig down 6 or more inches n bring this in and fill and compact it in 3" lifts and you should be good to go.

Thanks, Casey. So do you mean that I should dig down six inches past my two foot mark and then do two 3 inch liftsof the crushed stone material? Also, should I use a tamp for the compaction?

You need to rent a compactor for maximum tamping. I would go down at the least 6" if not, more. Certainly not over a ft should be fine.

Hey Casey, I've got another question for you (or anyone else who may know). I haven't been able to get any crushed stone. So, I called the Pool Factory and spoke with one of their tech guys about my problem. The guy said that I could backfill my hole with clean fill, bringing it up in three inch lifts, packing the lifts really good with a plate compactor, and then use cement pads beneath the uprights, and I should be ok. Does this sound like it would work?

Hi Dave, thanks for the response. Yes, Ive given up on burying it two feet. At this point, I'm just trying to salvage the location. I've got two of the three inch lifts in (fill dirt with some clay mixed in) and it's packing like concrete.

The instructions that came with the pool recommend putting in a two foot wide X two inch thick layer of crushed gravel around the perimeter of the foundation for the uprights and bottom rail to sit on. I'm thinking I'm gonna do that but go six inches thick instead of two, and then also use patio pads beneath the uprights as well. Does that sound like it will work?

I am not an expert on foundations but it seems you need at least one layer of rock under the pool incase the ground water rises. Dirt will liquify and shift, no matter how packed it was before the addition of water. Rock is much less likely to shift. I think a nice layer of larger, compactable rock covered with compactable screenings, then the tarp and pool.

I could be wrong but it might be worth checking out. it's free to check before you install.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not an expert on foundations but it seems you need at least one layer of rock under the pool incase the ground water rises. Dirt will liquify and shift, no matter how packed it was before the addition of water. Rock is much less likely to shift. I think a nice layer of larger, compactable rock covered with compactable screenings, then the tarp and pool.

I could be wrong but it might be worth checking out. it's free to check before you install.

You read my mind, Tech. Yesterday, I got a load of concrete "washout" (it's the left over material that they wash out of the concrete trucks) and I built a 6 inch thick ring with it around the perimeter of the pool for the wall to sit on. When I wet it and packed it in, it was literally like concrete. I didn't cover the whole pool area with, because I didn't want to risk any rocks working their way up and damaging the pool liner.

Today, the plan is to add another lift of clean fill over the whole area, pack it in, and then begin the leveling process, so that hopefully, I can begin construction this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The area around the perimeter where I put the concrete washout is totally solid. Also, my current circumstances are dictating that I have to put the project on hold for a couple of weeks, which actually may be good as to allow the site to be exposed to the elements (sunshine and occasional rain fall) and pack some naturally as well. I'll post an update when I'm able to resume construction.

Thanks again for everyone's responses and suggestions!

If I were you, I'd work specifically with the washout screenings which is just as good as the crusher. Fill dirt is never an adequate material to build an above ground pool on which is basically what you're doing.

So Casey, you don't think that just putting the screenings around the perimeter where the wall will sit, and then, also using patio pads beneath each upright will be adequate? Provided that the remainder of the site has been adequately packed, of course.

Fill dirt is known to settle considerably when you add 40,000+ lbs of water onto it. The perimeter should not be a problem. But what is going to sink n settle inside your pool floor once you get it set up? That is the question. Because you did say you had sandy loose soil. That's all I'm saying. It would be such a waste to put the time n energy into smoothing the floor for it to sink, settle n get lumpy.

That's just my opinion and many prolific posters have also stated, over the years, that fill dirt is not a suitable base for an above ground pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.