Small above ground pool purchase advice

Hello all, I'm looking for recommendations on an aboveground pool package prior to purchase.

Pool: looking at 2 options, both are 8' x 15' x 52". Odd size I know, but it's as big as I can accommodate on my lot. My pool location is bounded by a 3’ retaining wall on one side, and a ground level deck on the other. The free space I have to work with is 13’ x 23’. Think this is enough space to set it up?
The two pools I’m looking at are:

1) Cameo oval pool - includes 20 gauge blue overlap liner, thru-wall skimmer & return fitting

Features:
- Sturdy 7" wide steel Krystal Kote top ledges and resin interlocking caps, resist bad weather, chlorinated water and constant wear
- Incorporates interlocking steel stabilizers at the top of the pool and a hardware free resin bottom cuff
- Durable 6" upright posts and resin foot collars
- Two piece resin caps and steel top ledges with "Krystal Kote" anti-corrosion sealant
- This oval system is supported with heavy steel beams and straps that run underneath the pool, eliminating the need for poles or braces protruding at each side of the pool.
- 52" high steel wall coated with a "Krystal Kote" finish to prevent corrosion from the weather elements and chlorinated chemicals
- Sleek Oval Yardmore space saving system saves much needed yard space
- Warranty: 40-year manufacturer's limited warranty
- Made in the USA
- Approximate inside (water) dimensions - 8' X 15' 6"
- Approximate outside dimensions (space required) - 9' 10" X 16' 6'
- Approximate Water Capacity - 2,800 Gallons

2) Signature RTL oval pool – includes 20 gauge blue overlap liner, thru-wall skimmer & return fitting – Cost is roughly $200 more than the cameo pool
Features:
- Sturdy 7" wide resin top ledges and resin interlocking caps, resist bad weather, chlorinated water and constant wear
- Durable 6" upright posts and resin foot collars
- The durable 6" uprights and heavy grade steel bottom tracks
- Interlocking aluminum stabilizers at the top of the pool and hardware-free resin bottom cuffs
- Warranted for semi-inground installation up to halfway (26 inches) in the ground
- 52" high steel wall coated with a "Krystal Kote" finish to prevent corrosion from the harsh weather elements and chlorinated chemicals
- Oval Yardmore space saving system saves much needed yard space
- Warranty: Manufacturer's 60-year limited warranty
- Made in the USA
- Approximate inside (water) dimensions - 8' X 15' 6"
- Approximate outside dimensions (space required) - 9' 10" X 16' 6'
- Approximate Water Capacity - 2,800 Gallons

Based on the above descriptions, these sound very close in design. The pictures look virtually identical. I don’t plan to bury it, which seems to be the selling point of the Signature RTL. Anything wrong with saving a couple bucks and going for the cameo? A 40 year warranty sounds decent enough. I really don’t know who manufactures these, so does it make a difference?

Now for options:
Liner: The base liner is 20-gauge. The cheapskate in many says upgrade to the 25 gauge blue liner for $50, but they do have some nice 25 gauge patterned options for $150 (available in both overlap and unibead). Is one better over the other?

Pump: This distributor doesn’t offer a whole lot of options on pumps/filters, and it’s priced separately, so I don’t really have an incentive to buy from them. The distributor is offering singe speed 1 and 1.5HP pumps. I know most people recommend a two-speed pump, but all the ones I can find seem overpowered for this size pool based on advice given in other threads. What rating and manufacturers should I be looking at? With my lot restrictions, I’d most likely be locating the pump/filter near the 8’ wide end of the pool. Any issue with water circulation doing this?

Filter: I'm thinking a simple sand filter would be most appropriate (size?). I don't really want to mess with salt due to the warranty implications. Any reason I should be looking at cartridge or DE? Ease of maintenance and decent water are priorities.

Ladder: Would need a ladder on the outside, and hopefully steps on the inside. At some point, I'd like to build a deck, without having to buy new steps, so hopefully there's a model where you can detach the ladder? Anybody have experience with this? This distributor sells the Confer step 1, which looks like it may work.

Cleaning gear: Do I need an automatic pool vac? Any recommendations?

For the install, I’m toying with the idea of using the rigid foam on the bottom with the foam cove base. The ground is pretty sandy with minimal rocks, but I would like a nice flat bottom.
Anything else I need to think about?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Well, go with the highest mil liner you can get. Over lap, j hook or beaded, doesn't matter but if you go with beaded, you will need a separate track! I would suggest the j hook as it was pretty simple install for me at least. As far as pump goes, you can run that puppy on low all day long n use the second highest speed for vacuuming. I love my DE filter as it keeps my pool very clean, beware though it will need baby Sat during algae outbreaks if you ever get one. As far as steps, you can attach the safety ladder to them until you get the deck on and then remove them.

Have fun n post pics... Oh n I'd go with pool number 1. Just because it has resin bottom rails n won't disintegrate over time. But that's just me.... They are probably both good pools!

What is your location? A cartridge filter will be easier to handle/store during the winter months. It's also relatively easy to clean. As for cleaning, for that size pool, it would be cheaper and easier to clean with a manual vacuum. I manual vacuum mine, it's on the smaller side as well.

As has been said, the 25 mil liner is the best choice because thicker IS better. I have a sand filter for the pool and cartridge for the hot tub. I prefer the sand filter because I do not have to get wet when I clean it. Perhaps, that's just me. For my pool the sand filter does a fine job of cleaning even when I have an algae outbreak. I run it all night and it cleans the pool right up. Under normal circumstances, I rarely have to backwash it when the pool chemistry is right. However, it is not the best rated for the fineness of the particles it traps.

I have used a handheld rechargeable vac, a suction side vac, and now a robot. I absolutely hates the rechargeable vac and I LOVE the robot. The robot does a fabulous job of cleaning, it does not get stuck on the stairs, and I do not have to watch it do its work. It even picks up sand in the hot tub and, by design, it circulates the water faster than the pool pump. For what you will spend on a suction side vac, go ahead and double that and get the robot from the start. There are lots of discussions on the forum that can help you decide which one to get.

When my pump stops working, I will upgrade to a 2 speed but in the meantime, the Hayward 3/4 hp pump that is in my signature works great. I would recommend Hayward to anyone that asks. If you look around the Internet, eBay, Blinq, you can definitely find open box pumps, pool cleaners, and lights. I have found all of these and saved lots of money, with no issues.

Stairs, there are lots of steps that come in two parts. The Grand Entrance Steps come in two parts but they are pricey. http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.com/search.asp?keyword=grand+entrance+steps&search.x=0&search.y=0

http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.com/Ocean-Blue-Outside-Ladder-for-Grand-Entrance-Step_p_10059.html

Here are the Ocean Blue that come with the steps and the ladder

http://www.nationaldiscountpoolsupp...rand-entrance-step-with-outside-ladder--.html

I have two sets of steps in my pool. Why? Because the kids like to sit on them and the original set is not really designed for sitting. It get in or get out. So, I found a ladder/step set on Craigslist for $35. They are much wider and the girls can sit and perform their mermaid duties.

Good luck with the decision making!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.