League City, TX - Starting from scratch

Mar 22, 2015
League City, TX
Howdy y'all!

I'm Flounder32. I'm not sure why my mom named me Flounder32, but I've adjusted to it over the years.

I am from League City, Texas (just south of Houston) and I'm on the precipice of jumping into pool ownership. My wife and I have wanted to get a pool for a few years and actually started the process 2 years ago but got financially sidetracked due to unforeseen circumstances. All of our ducks are now in a row and we are ready to move forward.

I will have tons of questions along the way and I can't wait to move this thread to the Construction page, but for now I need to educate myself because I really don't know a whole lot about pool construction and ownership. I found this wonderful website while doing some research and I hope to pick your brains throughout the entire process. (Side bar: Why hasn't anyone written a "Pool Construction for Dummies" book? I was unable find a good book on Amazon to educate myself.)

Here is what I am starting with:

Not a really big yard. About 60'x35'. One huge problem is the 10' utility easement from the back fence. I don't think I can build anything within that 10'. I need to research that more though.

Here is a very rough idea of what we are aiming for (but we are flexible):

That's the style we are looking at, not the specifics of that picture. I am also going to build a outdoor kitchen/patio that stretches from the back door to that 10' easement. That should give me a covered patio of something like 26'x16'.

So where to start? I need to find a good pool builder in the greater Houston area. Per the rules I've seen if you have nice things to say about a builder, you can post it here. If it's bad, please help me out and send me a private message.

I know that I need to spend some time in Pool School because I don't know a whole lot about pools yet. And I really want to educate myself prior to starting the process. Thank y'all!

That's a great intro, and it sounds like ol' Mom had a great sense of humour when she named you. :mrgreen:

Welcome to TFP, League City is nice. :cheers:

Stick around and you'll know plenty about pools before long. Enjoy the forums! :goodjob:

Thanks for the welcome!

I think I'm going to like it here. I can't wait to get started. We are talking to everyone we know with a pool about their builders. I don't want make a mistake on this.

I do have a question--is it preferred to go with a builder that will build both the pool and the patio or to find two separate companies that specialize in each. And if using two companies, would that create problems?

Welcome to TFP! Nice introduction. It's certainly nice to have the ODK and pool built in unison, but not mandatory. If you decide against starting the ODK, at least pour the slab and plan your drainage, plumbing and electrical during the pool build. You don't want to pour the slabs separately. Over all just don't get in a hurry with choosing the builder; you'll certainly learn from each new meeting. There are so many in our area.

Flounder, I'm in Friendswood. Bay Area and 528... ish.

Lots of pool companies around. I started by finding lots of photos of different aspects of pools I liked. I then drew what I wanted (it was done on the computer but could be hand drawn). This process was about 3-4 months long.

After I had my drawing I sent it to 6 builders and asked for a price on what I had drawn. That way I could compare each builder. I picked two from the 6 and then had them adjust the design to be more ergonomic and easier/better/builder friendly.

From the 2 I settled on 1 and signed a contract.

Welcome!

As you can imagine, there are quite some differences in experience that we Houstonians have been through as we built our pools. Please be sure to base your PB choice on more than just price. If you read enough threads around here, you'll see that frustration can have an extremely high cost that many PBs forget to include on their pricing sheets!

In the last 4 years, I've put in 2 pools with 2 different PBs, and I've "interviewed" about 10 other local ones. If you PM me, I'll gladly let you learn from my experiences.